Hello All. In Need of a little HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone

Glad to be a Newbe in the diving community. Honestly cannot believe how awesome it is underwater. A hole new world!!
However need some help to carry on experiencing this.

I have just qualified for my open water one. Upon qualifying I burst my ear drum on wakeboarding accident. Chop!!! I have since had a graft done and this happened 5 months ago. Everything feels good and I made sure it was kept it dry while recovering. Question is when can I dive again? or can I dive again? My biggest fear is not being able to equalise on the way back to the surface. Is there someone whom I can talk to? a test I can try? compression chamber or something? or do I just take a chance? The doc did say I burst it quiet badly but also said it healed well and looks good
Please can you help or know of anyone who can. Really keen to get back into it!

Thank you

I burst my eardrum in '99 from diving. The doctor told me I had to be out of the water for what I believe was 6 weeks. I was a commercial diver at the time, and this meant I wasn't getting paid. So, I'm not sure if he told me 8 weeks and I went back to work at 6 weeks. Or if he really told me 6 weeks and I stayed out of work for 6 weeks. At any rate, 5 months.... I'm pretty sure you are fine. Can you clear your ears now on the surface? I'd say if you can clear on the surface, you're probably fine to dive. Just take it easy, go slow, and don't force anything.

Also, I vaguely remember it being harder to clear right after I healed. Like there was added scar tissue or something. I would spend the day before diving clearing on the surface. If no issues during the day, I'd doubt you'll have issues underwater.

Let us know how it goes.

I would go back and check with the surgeon who did your graft. He will know how solid or tenuous the repair is. None of us can advise you well after this type of procedure.

I agree with TSandM. Talk to your surgeon as he will be able to provide a clinical recommendation. If is says it's ok then you should be fine.

Just remember when you leave surface that you descend slowly and if you feel you ears hurt or can not clear them just go back up one metre and try clear them again. If you can clear them you can continue with your descent, if you can't you should abort the dive and try again on another dive.

Back
Top Bottom