Almost OW certified...Lake Travis, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msfunsun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
HI all!
My name is Michele and I live in Lago Vista. I'm glad I found this forum because I've already learned quite a bit. My 12 yr old daughter and I will be doing OW dives 4 & 5 this Fri and hopefully get certified. My husband and two daughters, ages 12 & 15 are also getting certified as their scedule permits. My 7 yr old daughter is bummed that she has to wait! She watched the PADI video and knew the answers when we discussed the material. She can snorkel though!

We love, love, love the water! My kids have grown up on the lake and we boat almost every weekend during warm weather. I've always had an interest in Scuba but just not the time or money to do something about it. We are going to the Bahamas in three weeks where the diving's warm and beautiful so NOW is the time! :D I do have a little trepidation about diving because obviously it is a serious sport and being underwater anything can happen. I probably shouldn't have read the accident forum because that freaked me out a little. I also seem to tune into Shark week before we head to the coast for vacay...not a good idea. LOL

I've purchased the basics for us plus a used computer since there were only 3 computer rentals available where we're taking a charter dive boat. Anybody ever dove with Brendal in Green Turtle Cay, Abacos? He's supposed to be pretty awesome.

Thanks for all the story/tip sharing y'all do! It's very informative and sometimes funny.

Welcome to SB. We can always use another Texan.

Congrats on making it this far into your OW cert. Take your time and relax...that'll help everything else work better for you.

The Comal River is an easy and safe dive for all skill levels and a short drive for you. We drive down from DFW a couple times a year for the Comal dive and some BBQ.

The Bahamas trip will be a far cry from Travis...enjoy!

Welcome to SB. We can always use another Texan.

Congrats on making it this far into your OW cert. Take your time and relax...that'll help everything else work better for you.

The Comal River is an easy and safe dive for all skill levels and a short drive for you. We drive down from DFW a couple times a year for the Comal dive and some BBQ.

The Bahamas trip will be a far cry from Travis...enjoy!

Thanks, Grant! I think I might try the Comal. It's much clearer than Travis I think.. although I haven't been on that river in a very long time.

The viz on the Comal is very good. Not like any of our lakes or scuba parks which can be good to not good.

Max depth is 12'-15' and the current is very mild. We enjoy the night dives there...lots of crawdads and giant plecostumuses. Put in at the stairs @ Inman Island and park close-by.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Brendal has been around forever.

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Thanks Beaver! Yes, his company is very reputable so I know we are in good hands! I'm so glad we are going during lobster season. Mmmm...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The Comal has a current, which when diving you will learn several new skills. Who is your instructor?

Welcome! I live in Cedar Park and dive (Lake Travis) pretty much 1-4 dives every week. Let me know if you want to get any dives in after certification.

Welcome! I live in Cedar Park and dive (Lake Travis) pretty much 1-4 dives every week. Let me know if you want to get any dives in after certification.

Thanks! I may take u up on that. Where do u dive from? Mansfield? I suppose early morn & weekday would b optimum time for best clarity?!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

A variety of shore diving and boat diving locations. Best clarity I've seen is in the middle of the winter. Saw about 25' vis at Mansfield once. Most days are 10'-15' vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom