new guy from tx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonefishin

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I just joined I live in spring (north of Houston) and I am interested in diving and have been since I was a teenager. I grew up on a private 33 acre artesian lake and would snorkel all over it. I have done some snorkeling on cayman brac about 10 years ago and it just wasn't enough I wanted to scuba then and couldn't. now me and my fiancée are planning a honeymoon and we are thinking about Hawaii next year. so long story short I have got her "ok" with the idea of scuba diving. she is still a little nervous about it though. I have a couple questions

first I have been checking around locally in the Houston area and the prices vary a lot on the open water cert. I have found prices from $250-$400+. is there a reason this varies so much? is there something I should look for in finding which place for us to take the classes? I stopped at a lds sea sports scuba and the guy I talked to was very helpful and said the course is $300 plus the gear I need to get started is about $400-$450 does this sound about right?

second what is the best way to get my fiancée to feel better about diving? she is nervous about it and she isn't the strongest swimmer either. I don't want to push her into and make her not like it. she is open to trying it but I just that I shouldn't push her to hard on it. We have a boat and after a couple years on the lake she just now finally started tubing a little.

sorry for the long intro and questions thanks for any help. and I have been reading on here for a week or so and love the site.

Back
Top Bottom