I promise not to be a pest.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there...I've just registered as a member. Mostly, I joined because it seemed everytime I looked to the internet for an answer to a question I had about snorkeling...well, some thread from Surfboard showed up. Everyone seems so genuine and helpful.

The only other post I've written was a question about fins for snorkeling; in fact I mentioned in the post that I was new to snorkeling....in reality I had never put a dive mask on, never mind use a snorkel. (This is where the title to my post comes in; I promise not to be a pest and ask a thousand stupid questions.)

So, today I took the ferry to Provincetown (the tip of Cape Cod) and with a mask and snorkel (Promate dry-top) and a pair of fins (US Divers Hingeflex II...didn't like them, but I thought they would be good for my first pair.) I sat down in the shallow part behind the breakwater where the water never gets more than four feet deep.

After practicing putting the faceplate of my mask underwater and (practicing not hyperventilating) I pushed off and spent the next two hours cruising around behind the breakwater. Then I went right out onto the beach on the other side of the dunes...and right into the water.

Beyond a thousand crabs, I saw what looked like a seahorse (but all stretched out lengthwise like a piece of seaweed) and a seal.

Today was the most fun I think I've ever had and there was hardly anthing to look at! I'll be snorkeling at a place called Christmas Cove (St. Thomas?) in November.....I think I'll have a heart attack at the things I'll see there.

Now, all I can think about is getting back in the water and learning everything. So, once again, I won't bug you all too much, but I'll be watching and learning from your posts!

Welcome.

I caught the bug snorkeling as well. The hotel we stayed at in Cozumel had free snorkeling right off the back. Once I tried it, I ended up in the water every minute I was allowed to. Every time my wife went for a massage, etc I went snorkeling.

Then one time I was snorkeling in about 25 ft of water and some scuba divers went under me near the bottom. I thought " I want to be down there" so I signed up for a discover scuba at the same site.

Then I really got hooked and here I am. About 80 dives in with a drysuit and coldwater gear seeking out shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.

YOu came to the right place for advice. I wish I had found this place before I bought all my first gear. It would have saved a lot of money.

:) I was snorkeling when I decided it wasn't enough and the rest is history.

Not familiar with the fish up around the OP but maybe describing a trumpet or coronet fish?

Yep, that's how it all starts... I was snorkeling in the FL Keys watching divers 30ft below and decided that looked like more fun!

We were snorkeling off Playa del Carmen and saw a barracuda hit a Sergeant Major. Later, we were at Grand Cenote and a bunch of divers were doing a cavern dive. Really wanted to be down there with them.

Should you get serious about snorkeling, get your booties before buying fins. When I had to walk around a mile in some cheap ones, I replaced them with a pair that fit my feet. Then find a pair of fins whose pockets fit your booties/feet. Spend a good amount of time seeking the "perfect" mask for your face. I use a fairly high volume mask by Scubapro that doesn't leak as much as other masks I have tried. Your snorkel is a plastic straw you breath through. Keep your tongue close to the mouth piece so you can close it when the snorkel floods.

What you might not realize, StevenP, is that we LOVE all those newbie questions! We love to reminisce about when we were all "just" snorkelers! We love to tell our own stories mirroring your experiences! Pester away... I promise you we'll all be here to join into the conversation!

Oh, and how big was that almost-seahorse animal you saw? It sounds to me like it might have been a pipefish, if it was fairly small (just a few inches long). I love finding pipefish!

Yes! It was a pipefish! I've never heard of them and well, it felt sort of exotic to find one off of Cape Cod. What I find funny about snorkeling/diving is that you never know who dives...while talking to client about my first experience he and his wife started to tell me all about their addiction to diving. That's just how he described it...an addiction. Oh, this will be fun.

Welcome...and get ready for Scuba certification after your trip to St Thomas!:wink:

Hi there...I've just registered as a member. Mostly, I joined because it seemed everytime I looked to the internet for an answer to a question I had about snorkeling...well, some thread from Surfboard showed up. Everyone seems so genuine and helpful.
You sure you're in the right place? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom