New from Eastern Shore of Maryland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

button

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been mostly lurking around here for the last few months and thought I should post a formal introduction.

So... HI! My name is Lauren! :wavey:

Back in May I had my first diving experience - in Australia of all places.

I loved snorkeling, but thought that maybe diving wasn't for me as I've had some problems with my ears. My ENT said I should try a resort or Discover Scuba dive... that it was the only way to know for sure if I could clear my ears.

Oh, and did I mention that I've always been terrified of deep water?

Obviously I'm here now, so you know the scuba bug took a big CHOMP out of me. No ear problems in the 4 dives I took in OZ, and somehow I got over my fear of deep water in that time too. In OZ, we dove at Cook Island with Cooley Dive in Coolangatta and then did 3 dives on the GBR with Poseidon from Port Douglas (Agincourt and Low Isles, I believe).

I got home from vacation in June and took the first available class I could find in July. We went with John Kiser/Sea Colony in Severna Park. Loved it, although our class was pretty big. That just wrapped up and I'll be doing my checkout dives at Lake Rawlings next month. I'm also planning on getting my AOW in October. Depending on life (i.e. whether I can put off having kids indefinitely) I'd like to get my PADI rescue diver and then consider if I'd like to go any farther.

Hubby enjoyed the diving in Australia, but was a bit hesitant with getting certified. While we were there he said that he only wanted to dive with a divemaster or someone who is familiar with where we are diving.

Now that class is over, he's ready to become an instructor, sell our house and open a dive shop. HAHA! Well, actually he wants to become a rescue diver now. Not PADI rescue diver - you know, the gross kind. He's a DC firefighter and they're talking about getting a team together. He's excited about scooping body parts out of the Anacostia. More power to him!

At any rate, we are heading to Puerto Plata, DR in December and plan on doing some diving out there. I'm looking forward to getting some dives under my belt and expanding my horizons!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom