New from sw Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monoxide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys I'm a new guy here and very new to diving. I'm taking my class end of October but getting my gear tomorrow. A lds found it on Craigslist for me. I was wondering what else I will need minus fins mask and snorkel. I'm getting a cressi bc model xl aquapro 5 with aqualung Titan regulator w/ oceanic gauges and backup breather and a yellow 80lb aluminum tank (needs visual inspection) for 275. How much weight will I need roughly I am roughly 335lbs. The dive shop said I should get my bc before the class since he doesn't have a rental my size. Is this a good deal?

a dive shop providing gear from Craig's list? personally I would run away fast...

if sizing for a BCD is and issue then have a backplate and wing setup configured for you. the nice thing about this setup is with a spool of 2" webbing you can have a custom BCD that fits you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He found it on Craigslist because I told him I was on a budget and didn't want to spend a lot since I'm not 100% I want to dive alot

Welcome to the Board.
The amount of weight you'll need will be dependent on more variables that your weight alone.
Your BMI would play a huge factor in that Muscle weighs more than body fat.
What you wear for a wetsuit will need to be considered as well.
And your comfort level in the water could cause the need for 6-8 lbs alone.
Being a larger guy, you will need more than most, If you decide that Scuba is for you.
My suggestion would be to consider a BPW setup with a stainless plate, and steel tanks.
This will take weight off your belt and distribute it evenly across your body.
The shop should be able to supply weight to at least get you dialed in to start with.

The class has weight I can borrow. What is a bpw? I was told this bc is weight integrated also so I shouldn't need a belt right? Any pros over using a steel tank over a aluminum tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom