Hello from Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm an American in Athens who has discovered that a coworker is a PADI instructor and holds a couple of SCUBA classes each year. Having always wanted to learn, but having little interest in mountain lakes or quarries, I'll be taking a class once the weather warms up a bit.

Until that happens, does anyone have a recommendation for newbie reading material? I'd like to get a jump on the technical side since it's something I feel I ought to know, and don't want to rush it with the initial experience in a class.

The obvious one would be to ask your co-worker if he can get you a copy of the the course book in advance for you to read through. Other than that, a book like 'The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving' (ISBN 1-878663-02-X) would certainly cover the basics.

I thought about that but decided that if I was going to be risking my life, I wanted a couple of different viewpoints. Thus, the question.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Get Neutral Buoyancy, by Tim Ecott. It's a great read. There is some technical stuff, but more than that, it opens up a lot of new vistas about diving. I couldn't put it down!

Hello and welcome to the board. I am an American living in Malta. 20 years now. Best to stick to the Open water Manual, than the Adventures in Diving, etc. Step by Step without overloading your mind with material. Get some experience as you read, play it safe and remember that diving is fun. Let us know what Greece is like for Diving? I hear that alot of restrictions have been lifted and alot more sites are open now. I would love to come over some time but you have the same season as us and work comes first. Have fun. Mark

love2godeep:
Get Neutral Buoyancy, by Tim Ecott. It's a great read. There is some technical stuff, but more than that, it opens up a lot of new vistas about diving. I couldn't put it down!

I have to admit I had no idea how ignorant I was about diving until I started reading this great book.

And welcome to SB. :wavey: Put us in your Favorites and check in often.

don

Tekonis Halthron,
I received my OW in upstate NY. Waters were a bit cold, needed a 7M FJ, hood,booties and gloves. Viz around 5-10 feet. I thought it was great. It was what I was trained in. And I was under water. Life was great.
Then I dove the springs in Fl and went to Bonaire. Spoiled I was. But what a training background I had. Now when things go sour I have the experience to either keep on diving or just say .....with it.

Personally I would not enter any activity with the mind set that I was risking my life, I like to live. But any physical activity has a given amount of risk to it be it mountain biking,skiing,snowboarding, etc. Just learn the rules.
A few years ago I earned my Private Pilot License. Now talk about risking life..so I thought, the only way was down. Me and my passengers, who by the way are in no way considered "buddies" (solo flying). But I was well trained and I followed the rules of my training. Flying became a very relaxing and an unuiqe experience just as diving is.
Just get the best training you can in what H2o you can and expand from there. Diving is a great lot of fun be it lakes,quarries,rivers or the trophy dives.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom