Newbie wants to get his feet wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasterios

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all and thanks for clicking,

I'm strongly interested in doing ocean research in graduate school, but I have never even been snorkeling. I'm an excellent swimmer and love being in the water, but scuba diving is a completely different world, and I want to be sure it's something I want to pursue before I throw a bunch of money at it. So, I want to dive a few times to get familiar with it. Do I need certification before I can take my first dive? What kind of certification or experience should I have before I go for AAUS certification? Are there good companies or places to take my first dives with/at? What do I need to know before I give someone money? Am I thinking about this the right way?

Thanks, any information is greatly appreciated.

I know my daughter took a 'Discover Scuba' course through our local shop. Around 3 hours of very basic instruction to see if she would like it or not. Pretty reasonable price, if I remember correctly, and a good way to 'try before you buy'.

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard. :admingreet:

Better in some ways would be a Discover class in Key Largo, seeing the fishes. If you don't like it, there are other things to enjoy on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom