Newbie looking for new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mindelis

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, my name is Mike and I just finished my open water diving classes. I am very excited to start diving however the only gear I currently own are fins and a mask. On that note, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some insight as to what brand of gear would last the longest and would be the best for long-term diving. Thank you.

Hello and welcome. There is nothing like diving with your own gear. That being said, I wanted to tell you of an experience I am going through right now with Mares. I bought a new 7mm long wetsuit for diving in March, 2013. The wetsuit carries a two year warranty. Three months into using it, the arms started to separate at the seams, both sides. I contacted the store where I bought it, and was told they don´t honor Mares´warranty. I contacted Mares and they said the suit was under warranty and should be replaced, as they do not have repair facilities. Here I sit, almost a year later and I still have not had my wetsuit replaced under the warranty terms. I have sent countless emails that remain unanswered, made phone calls and left messages that have not been returned...basically the Mares representatives have given me the silent treatment. I am currently working with local business authorities to try and force Mares into honoring the warranty, but I don´t hold out much hope. I tell you, and everyone that is thinking about buying new gear, NOT to purchase any Mares equipment. If you do, just know that if it breaks down, you will have to replace it. They got your money, that´s all Mares cares about.

Last edited:
Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Hello Mike. Welcome to our community.

It is good to have your own gear but there are a lot of different styles of gear. Take time to try as many as you can to see what you like best and fits the kind of diving you do.

Gear choices in general are very subjective. Everyone will have their own personal preference when it comes to brands of gear. Personally I use Aqualung - good quality, comfortable and with an excellent warranty agreement, which they are very good about honouring. We also use aqualung rental gear for our students.

Really though you need to go to as many stores as possible, feel the kit, try it on and ask questions. Some stores will even have a stock of 'try before you buy' gear. The main thing is not to rush into big purchases to quickly and end up regretting your decision. You dont need to spend a fortune, but buy the best you can afford. And look after your it! When it comes down to it, that will affect how long it lasts much more than what brand it is.

What type of diving do you see yourself doing?

Recreational? Tech? Cave? Wreck? What sort of conditions? Lakes/Rivers? the Ocean? Warm or Cold Water? How low is the coldest you expect to dive in? Silty or Clear? Some Idea of a possible budget would be helpful also. You can get decent starter gear for around $1000 all-in. You can get really nice gear for $7500 all-in...

I'd follow the advice above and try things on - if not renting and diving with them. Some shops have loaners of the same model they want to sell you. Also you kind of don't know what you don't know yet. Quick example - you probably certified with a Jacket BC and a workhorse regulator. Both designed for maximum life and easy serviceability - for your shop. Neither is optimal for diving - the BC is one size fits all and works for most - the regulator a lower end model. Better regulators have more features and usually breathe better - esp. in some conditions - like deeper with low tank volume. Many people after they've been diving a while switch to a back-floatation BC. I have one friend who switched back.

Go on local dive trips. Ask the other divers what they use and why. What's optimal in some areas isn't in others. There's gear configurations for travel that are different than local. Caves/Tech have their own configurations. If you plan to go that route, you can save some money by buying it first instead of rebuying later.

I'm a fan of having local service options for stuff that has working parts. Some people will say you can get the same service at mail-order dealers and they're right. But one example: On a Thursday - trying out our gear in my pool before a Sat. 6AM flight - my buddy broke his regulator. He called our LDS, dropped it off and I picked it up and tested it in their pool the next afternoon while he worked. So he was able to dive it that next week. No way even Express shipping could meet that deadline. No shops servicing his brand at our destination either.

Where is another factor. If you plan to mostly dive locally what your dealer sells is optimal for the conditions. There's also a whole category of lighter weight travel gear if you'll be flying to dive. They should sell that also. And some that do both well. Equally as important is the availability of dealer service at dive locations.

The old-line mainstream brands like Aqualung, ScubaPro, Mares, have the most extensive dealer networks worldwide. Cressi seems really strong in Europe/the Med/the U.S. also. I personally like Atomic for their quality but they're not as large in some areas. Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis is another reliable choice - Aeris is merging into the Oceanic line this year. So there may be good deals on Aeris branded gear now.

A lot of members here extoll the virtues of HOG/Edge regulators. Very good value for the money IMO. A lot of them also do their own service - once they've taken the training class. Someone recently posted interest in a HOG regulator. They live in D.C., the nearest HOG dealer was in Philadelphia. So not exactly convenient. HOG seems to be building their dealer network - especially overseas there's not a lot of coverage yet. Since I know the owner slightly - I expect that to change over time.

So consider the source - in my comments also. I share the opinion expressed about Mares. Every couple of years they come out with some option that just makes you go Huh?

You'd be surprised how easily things get smashed on a boat load of divers when it's pitching even slightly. More than once I've grabbed my 2nd stage before my seatmate weaved over and dropped his tank on it. My fault for leaving it there but it still breaks the same.

The mfr's have dealer locators on their websites. You get good insights into where they're strong and weak both in the U.S. and overseas by checking them.

Used is also an option - check our Classifieds. Most people here seem to take care of their gear. Partly because they care and partly because they know we'll all know if they don't - or rip someone off.

And look at mail order dealers. I'm a fan of ScubaToys in Dallas - everything has a mfr's warranty. And if something doesn't fit they'll exchange till it does - as long as it's not used/dirtied. LeisurePro is another reputable dealer - some of their gear (Aqualung especially) carries their equivalent warranty instead. Divers Supply is another place I purchase from periodically - and Scuba.com.

Post some answers and people may be able to suggest more specific options. Your initial post was pretty vague.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom