Hello from the Mid-Atlantic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tooley912

New
Reaction score
Greetings fellow Divers!

Long time lurker, first time poster! Got certified on my "2nd Honeymoon" in The Philippines. That really spoiled me :cool2:

I live in Virginia Beach, VA USA where the water temps keep me from skinny dipping year round.
(not like I would REALLY skinny dip) I learned to dive in a rash guard and board shorts. Temps were amazing!

I thought I'd start posting now so I can get some ideas for a future trip to Jamaica! I'm a bit rusty so I will be digging archives and picking brains. I also have some stuff that my Mother-in-law wants to sell to the dive community. My father-in Law was the late Rogersea, an active poster in the Philippine Paradise Divers forums. He had a small dive operation in Moalboal, Cebu. After his passing, she was left with some very well taken care of equipment. I'll probable throw up a post in the classified section after I get te rules figured out. Any suggestions will help.

Thanks for reading and look forward to learning from you guys!

Welcome to the board. There are a few of us very close to your location, so if your father in laws gear ends up in va beach, let us know and we can swing by and take a look.

Lots of good diving around here, see you on the water..

Thanks tomfcrist! I actually already have the gear. He has a nice housing. Amphibico Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite. He really liked using it. Said it was pretty neutral and dove pretty well. He got into video late in his dive career. He didn't have tooo much time to enjoy it before paassing away.

I see you're in Hampton. What are some of you favorite local dive spots?

Go on ebay and see what the same brands of gear are selling for to get an idea of what the current market prices are for the gear you want to sell. You can also ask questions here about his gear to get an idea of what to sell them for. If the gear is older there is a vintage section where you can ask questions as well.

Jamaica is one of the great loves of my life. I lived there for more than a year in the 70s, and subsequently visited often, sometimes for months. Diving in Jamaica is a far cry from what it once was. I still love the island, but not as a dive destination. There is still some very good diving in places, especially in and around Negril. Stay far away from Ocho Rios. Montego bay is almost as bad. The extreme eastern end of the island, north of Kingston, can be breathtakingly beautiful, but good accommodations are expensive.

I'm at the northern end of the 'Middle Atlantic' category. I envy your proximity to North Carolina diving.

Thanks tomfcrist! I actually already have the gear. He has a nice housing. Amphibico Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite. He really liked using it. Said it was pretty neutral and dove pretty well. He got into video late in his dive career. He didn't have tooo much time to enjoy it before paassing away.

I see you're in Hampton. What are some of you favorite local dive spots?

Define local....

I like diving the virginia beach wrecks, although the logistics of getting there is becoming an issue. Love diving out of hatteras though as well. I think the center of the diving universe is right here offshore.

I've heard Moorehead City is nice for wrecks. That's pretty close to Hatteras so that may have been lumped in to Hatteras as a destination.

My wife was certified at 13 and said she dove "The Tower" offshore of VB. I'm guessing a dry suit or 7mil + is suggested for thermal protection?

I want to get out to Rawlings too for some quarry diving too. That seems like the "local destinations"

Morehead can be nice, but it isn't Hatteras. Morehead is gulfstream diving and Hatteras can be heavily influenced by the Labrador current. The va beach dives like the tower or Morgan can be done wet or dry, but if you have a drysuit..use it. Lake Rawlings is nice when you are going through withdraw symptoms from diving elsewhere...most only use it for training.
Ocean city, MD is actually a shorter drive than Hatteras or Morehead, and there is some good wreck diving up there, but it will be cold water/low viz(I know not everyone enjoys that, but I do).

Back
Top Bottom