New to Scubaboard, headed to the Florida Keys, looking for dive sites and companies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I'm from Seattle and headed to the Florida Keys with my Dad for a dive trip. Wondering what favorite dive sites you all have and any companies you would recommend. Would love any ideas. Thank you in advance!

There are a number of threads discussing this that may help you. Like quite a few people, I'm partial to Rainbow Reef Dive Center - my trip report from Step. 2013. You can get in 2 2-tank boat trips (4 dives total) per day. Guides are put in the water at no extra charge. A 10 trip (20 dive) package deal when I went drove the price down to the cheapest boat diving I'd ever done.

Different strokes, different folks, though. Another op. that's been spoken highly of is Quiescence. If memory serves from what others had to say, smaller boats with fewer divers and you don't get the 'free' guide service.

And some people love Conch Republic. I've not dove with them, but an op. that's spoken of often and so fondly merits you take a look at it.

Here's a December thread on Best Dive Operators in Key Largo.

From August 2014, Advice for Newbies going to Fla Keys.

While a dive op. may offer a scheduled dive site plan, this is tentative and subject to change, such as due to conditions.

I found Snapper Ledge really fishy. The actual winch on the bottom at Winch Hole was neat to see and take a picture of. The wreck(age, really) of the Benwood was nice.

If you want to dive the deep wrecks such as the Spiegel Grove and Duane, have an AOW card, not just an OW card.

Richard.

Thank You! I found this extremely helpful and was able to find other related threads thanks to the ones you attached!

If you would, let us know when you get back who you dove with and how it went. As long as the weather cooperates, I think you'll find the upper Keys a great place to do a lot of diving. I went largely because I wanted to stay in the U.S. since our baby girl was along for the trip (in case she got sick & needed health care), but I was impressed and in retrospect, I do not consider Key Largo a 'trade off' compared to a Caribbean trip.

Richard.

Will do! Going in end of April, will update then. I found some recommendations for the lower keys as well but if there are any other recommendations for lower keys, would love them!

Always new stuff in the Keys. We were strolling back from Sharkey's grill tonight along the marina in Key Largo and wound up watching a manatee for several minutes while it watched us.

I like big boats and no guides. Had two nice dives on Friday with Ocean Divers. We had 4 divers. They will go with as few as 2.

I prefer Conch Republic Divers Conch Republic Divers Diving | Tavernier | Key Largo | Islamorada . They run a large well maintained boat with a very knowledgeable crew that will take you to all the usual dive sites in the upper keys. If you prefer a six pack I would recommend Sea Monkeys Welcome to SeaMonkeys Watersports! Islamorada, Florida . They are a little farther south at MM80 right by Alligator Reef which is a site not visited often by the boats from Key Largo. They also put a dive guide in the water with you on every dive at no charge. That being said I will use other shops if my favorites are not going to the type of site I want on a particular day. The only shop I would recommend you stay away from is Key Largo Dive Center, they run the worst dive charter I have ever used.

For the Lower Keys, Looe Key off Big Pine Key is a nice dive. I've been out with Looe Key dive shop on Ramrod Key. Pretty laid back boat (big Corinthian). Not alot of hand holding, but they will grill you a hotdog between dives. They do take out snorkelers as well so the boat can get a bit crowded on the weekends (but it is a big boat). Marathon has some nice patch reefs and the T-bolt if you like wrecks. I've been out with Captain Hook's in Marathon (they put a DM/guide in the water). They have a big Corinthian or a smaller Island Hopper depending on the dive site. Their afternoon dives can get a bit "zoo like" but they are very nice, ethusiastic folks. For a big dive there is the Vandenberg out of Key West. There are several ops ranging from extreme hand holding to do your own thing the boat leaves at... Depending on your experience level, you might want some hand holding on the Vberg. It can be a BIG wreck dive in more ways than one. Have fun. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom