New to ScubaBoard from sunny Miami Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Beach Sasha

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Scubaboarders,
My friends Netdoc and mselenaous stopped by my busy shop, South Beach Divers, in sunny and ever popular center of South Miami Beach.
So here I am introducing myself to the community and I hope you too will stop by and dive with South Beach Divers.

A bit about me. Growing up in Australia gave me the love I still have today for diving. The Great Barrier Reef, the largest reef system in the world, left me with the passion to want to dive forever- even though I had only snorkeled on it. I moved to San Francisco in 1984 (and became old enough to learn to dive). I started my dive education with the PADI Open Water Class in 1986. After moving back to Australia, I then completed the Advanced, Rescue and Dive master classes. In 1990 I decided to travel through Central America and ended up living in Costa Rica for 6 months and my travels ultimately landed me in Miami. In 1991, I got my Instructor license and worked for a company called Team Divers. After some fun filled years and a lot of hard work, I left the company to open my own dive center.

In 1995, my partner Carlos and I opened South Beach Divers located right in the heart of Miami's beautiful South Beach. The original store was only 800 sq ft and after just one year we expanded into the space next door and we now have 2400 sq ft and now I wish we had more space.

As an educator, I am a PADI Master Instructor and also teach many specialty classes including Deep, Wreck, Nitrox, Underwater Photography and an assortment of DAN Oxygen Trainer Classes. I teach Adult/Child and Infant CPR/First Aid for the American Red Cross as well as Emergency First Response programs. I am also a current board member for the Marine Board Authority for Miami Beach and trustee for the non profit organization reef guard.

In 2003, Teresa and I had a daughter named Taylor who is just the best thing that ever happened in my life. She is non stop action and is already snorkeling and diving in the pool and looking forward to getting certified as soon as she is old enough. In 2006 we had a second daughter, Lauren Grace who is just a dream baby. We are thankful that she is not quite as rambunctious as her sister and she brings a great balance to the family.
2012 Update, Lauren is just as rambunctious as her sister, it was nice while it lasted!
boufam.jpg

With over 3500 dives and well over 550 certified students under my belt, my team and I bring you years of experience in teaching and we still have the passion for sharing it with others. My ultimate goal is to travel the world and capture on film (now I am giving away my age) the underwater magic that exists and to show and encourage new divers bringing awareness to all that the ocean is a fragile ecosystem that needs to be protected. Please let me know how I or my staff can be of assistance.

staff09.png

See you in South Beach!

Miami Beach is almost my second home. I'm usually at Fire Station 2; i'll have to visit and check ya'll out!

Welcome. Interesting that you guys are in Miami. If I understand correctly, a lot of Miami diving is wreck diving?

On the forum, when people talk about Florida, I don't see Miami mentioned a lot as a dive destination. Mainly the upper Keys (Largo & Islamorada), Jupiter (for 'big stuff' - goliath aggregation & lemon shark migration), and West Palm Beach (shallower than Jupiter, deeper than the Keys, mainly reef diving). So far, I've hit Key Largo and Jupiter one trip each.

What do you see as the major selling points for making Miami a dive destination for those heading to Florida?

Richard.

P.S.: Some people post looking for destinations with beach-front resorts & a variety of topside attractions for non-diving companions; I imagine Miami would be strong in that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom