Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P Allan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
:D Hi Everyone,
Team Allan from Indianapolis consisting of my daughter and myself. We are taking the PADI "Open Water Cert course" in April. We'll be scouring the web for vacation planning material and hope to become familiar on this web site.

howdy and welcome from south Florida.....

Hi:

If you guys are about to get certified and plan to do some 'dive tourism,' and especially if your daughter is young enough to be under recommended depth restrictions (but even if she's not), take a long, hard look at a trip to Key Largo, Florida. Here's my trip report from Sept. 2013. In a nutshell:

1.) You can stay within the U.S. Same laws, rules of the road, healthcare, etc... Travel to the Caribbean is fun, but if it's all new for you, and you prefer a conservative 'grow into it' approach...

2.) At least for me, round trip airfare was fairly cheap.

3.) Courtyard Marriott was decent, and the value got better the more people we put in the one room. Rainbow Reef Dive Center was at the end of the parking lot, had free dives guides, a good operation & let me get in 4 dives per day.

4.) Key Largo has plenty of beautiful shallow reef diving with good corals & plenty of fish. Compared to some Caribbean places, I was pleased at the big barracuda, green moray eels, black grouper, sting rays and, if you do the deep wreck dives, goliath grouper, so some 'big stuff' was there.

5.) Good visibility; not up there with Cozumel or Bonaire, similar to what I recall in St. Thomas, but plenty good enough.

6.) Overall trip cost was pretty sweet for a dive trip. Rainbow Reef has this 10 trip, 20 dive package back then for $600; add tax & tips, and it's still about the cheapest boat diving I've ever done.

7.) You can drive to some land-based attractions; there's some sort of dolphin encounter option not far away, then Miami Zoo, Jungle Island, etc...

If you guys hook up with a local scuba group (e.g.: organized trip by a local dive shop or instructor), you could have a great time hitting Bonaire or Curacao (I hit Bonaire the 1st 4 times this way). Cozumel is very popular, though the diving tends to be deep, and it's drift diving, letting the current carry you along.

My advice is cut your teeth on Key Largo, then plan where to go next.

Richard.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Last edited:
Welcome. I live in Indy and my wife is also a diver. Obviously I have other friends in the Indy area that are divers also.
Feel free to reach out to me if you should have any questions in the future.

Hello from just east of Indy, My nephew and myself have just finished the confined part of the traning and just waiting for warm up to do the open water part. spending my time now hunting for cheap equipment to start out with to save on renting it.

Back
Top Bottom