New / Old New England diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yankee_Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

At 59, I'm a new diver. I've spent most of my life near, on (sailing), or under the water (snorkeling). FWIW, I remember reading Cousteau's "Silent World" as a kid, and how it made me want to learn to dive.

Somehow, I was never able to find the time to get certified. But my daughter is now a sophomore in college, studying marine biology. Last year, she announced that we should do our training together. So we did our OW here in Boston. Certification dives were in Rockport last June, with water temp at 57 degrees. It was a great experience! But so was the diving we did a couple of weeks ago in Culebra (79 degrees).

I'll be doing more diving here in the Boston area, and have a diver friend who lives in South Dartmouth who sings the praises of that area. But we also spend a bunch of time on an island near Portland, ME, and it looks like there are a number of nice shore dives in Cape Elizabeth, for example.

Glad I found scubaboard.

Nice to hear you're looking forward to doing more diving in the Boston area. There are some great sites and lots of exploring to do.

Be safe and remember to have fun whether you like it or not...

Welcome to New England diving! If you're ever down Penobscot Bay way, give a shout!

Thanks everyone! We'll probably be spending the bulk of the summer in Maine (we've got a place on Great Diamond Island in Casco Bay).

SiltySam, I'll check out the meetup at Maine Divers Scuba.
icechip, we haven't made it to Penobscot Bay for a number of years, but will give you a shout if we sail down east.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom