Hello from a Cave Diver near Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenwoo10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I have been Intro to Cave certified for a few years now and am reaching out to hook up with other cave divers (expand my network). I'm interested in Florida cave systems right now such as Peacock, Ginnie, Jackson Blue/Marianna, and Manatee.

My instructor is Bill Oestrich - most excellent! My deepest penetration is 1800 feet and 100 ft depth. I dive with back mount (haven't trasitioned to side mount).

Being underwater in a cave is almost like spiritual experience to me and I miss it. Haven't been in a spring since October! Looking forward to hearing my breathing underwater very soon.

Jennifer:blinking:

Welcome to Scubaboard! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're looking for buddies! I'm Full Cave/Stage certified and predominantly dive the Marianna area, but wouldn't mind a Ginnie/Manatee guide :wink:

Hello from North Carolina!

Cavern diver here but taking SM Intro and Apprentice Cave next week. Maybe we can get together to dive sometime.

Welcome!
We were just up at Ginnie Springs last weekend for Megadive. I'm not cave certified myself, but several in the group were. You're welcome to join us in the Fall. Just follow the Florida regions threads.

Hello Jennifer and welcome to scuba board! I am finishing up full cave in the next month and I enjoy diving in that area, although my favorite is Madison, always willing to dive with different people!

Hey Victor,
Great to hear from you! I got certified at Ginnie and it's absolutely beautiful. The two systems are Devil's Ear and Devil's Eye. The entries are exciting especially trying to run a reel and find some nooks and crannies to secure the line as you descend against the current. I may consider this destination in May. You are in Greenville, SC, I see. How many hours to Ocala, FL?

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 03:49 PM ----------

Hi Roxanne,
What is Megadive? If not cave certified, did folks dive cavern or in the river? River diving is fun through the tanic water!
Jen

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

Hi,
What is "SM"?
Also, I thought Apprentice was just diving in a more advanced fashion, rather than specific studies and drills. Will you explain further?
Thanks!
Jen

I'm like 6.5 hours to Mariana or Peacock. I think I'm a little farther to Ginnie.... but I've never been.

Jen,
SM is sidemount, and at Megadive you can dive at whatever level you are comfortable. I got to see Ginnie for the first time myself, made it 700' down the goldline from the Eye, it was an awesome dive.

The big thrill of Megadive is the Galaxy Dive on Saturday nights... Ginnie ballroom, about a gallon of activated glow sticks released into the flow from the grate. Still the coolest dive I've ever done and I go back for the Galaxy dive every Megadive (cept this year, was in the cave). Come on down any time the water is perfect!!!

Tim

Hi,
What is "SM"?
Also, I thought Apprentice was just diving in a more advanced fashion, rather than specific studies and drills. Will you explain further?
Thanks!
Jen

Yep. In this case SM is sidemount :D That and drysuit starts Monday. Then if all goes well Into to Cave followed by Apprentice Cave diver. If not, Apprentice and Full Cave next trip.

Last edited:

Hi Roxanne,
What is Megadive? If not cave certified, did folks dive cavern or in the river? River diving is fun through the tanic water!
Jen

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

Hi,
What is "SM"?
Thanks!
Jen

Jen,
SM is sidemount, and at Megadive you can dive at whatever level you are comfortable. I got to see Ginnie for the first time myself, made it 700' down the goldline from the Eye, it was an awesome dive.

The big thrill of Megadive is the Galaxy Dive on Saturday nights... Ginnie ballroom, about a gallon of activated glow sticks released into the flow from the grate. Still the coolest dive I've ever done and I go back for the Galaxy dive every Megadive (cept this year, was in the cave). Come on down any time the water is perfect!!!

Tim

Hi Jen,
We have Megadive twice a year, Spring and Fall. Here's a link to the last event we just had. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/500727-2015-fools-spring-megadive.html I'll be posting the date for the Fall event as soon as Ginnie Springs calls me back. Hope you can join us!

Thank Imbodie for filling jen in on a little bit of the fun! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom