Another diver from Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcairo1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My name is Joe and I live in Dayton, Ohio. I am a brand new diver, so I am still working on buoyancy control and not drowning. I'm looking to build up my skills, confidence and experience this summer. I look forward to learning a lot from the membership.

Welcome. Any idea what kind of diving you intend to mainly do? Warm water vacation diving in southern Florida & the Caribbean? Heading up for cold water diving in the Great Lakes? Do you have plans for diving, or are you trying to figure out where to go?

Richard.

howdy and welcome from south Florida....

@Richard: I've done some local quarry diving. I imagine quarry dives will probably be the bulk of my diving this summer. I intend to go to Cozumel this winter with the dive shop I got certified through. I'd love to go to the Great Lakes. I might be able to hit a warm spot in Lake Erie with a 7mm suit.

Cozumel is known for great viz., warm water, varied topography, a mix of big & small life to see, and being one of the more budget destinations from the U.S. Some of the dive op.s offer steel 120 cf tanks; Living Underwater, Aldora & at least one other. Several highly reputable op.s to choose from. While shore diving is not the Cozumel 'thing,' if you stay at Hotel Cozumel or Scuba Club Cozumel (which are near each other), it's an option. There's a ScubaBoard group trip to Cozumel and you can read the thread(s) about it to get some idea of what's involved. It is drift diving, and unless you make arrangements to the contrary, it's probably going to be deep diving.

If you don't have Advanced OW cert. yet, you are probably going to want to get it pronto.

Another popular budget vacation dive option is Key Largo; here's my trip report from Sept. 2013 diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. Generally shallow reef diving with the option to do deep wreck dives.

Here's a thread on Distinctive Caribbean & Fl Dive Destinations that might also be a decent spring board to get a sense of some options. There are too many to go into readily, but you've got to start somewhere.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom