Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HK_Lam

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am from Melbourne, Australia. Just started in diving, in the process of doing my open water certification. I started to get my own equipment, basically the bcd and regulators. There is so much knowledge that I picked up from the forum discussion. I am glad to be part of this community.

Welcome HK. Yup you'll find all sorts of good stuff here... Just remember to bring your sense of humour when you come. You're close to some nice diving there...

So true, we are so close to the Coral Triangle, ie Indonesia, Phililpines and Borneo. Planning to do more dives in Indonesia

Yep, great diving around Melbourne.
Make sure you invest in a good 7mm semi dry or similarly insulating wetsuit and if you want to dive through winter you'll quickly start to envy drysuit divers... Water temps range from 20-22C in summer down to 10-12C at the end of winter.

As a new diver don't underestimate Bass Straight dives. Diving out past the Port Phillip Heads or shore diving from the Back Beaches need to be approached progressively and with caution as your experience and training build. Bass Straight conditions can change quickly and shore diving the back beaches at your level should only be considered in the calmest and most stable of conditions.
Also ask your instructor to teach you how to use a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy if you can. Dive Victoria, the largest of the local charter boat operators like all divers to carry them and it is good practice to have one with you on all dives.

I was doing my OW certifification to be in time for my holidays in Thailand. However due to some delays, I had to leave before completing the course. So I have to dive in Similans with limit to 12m (scubadiver level) I can see a world of difference between cold water and warm water dive. So relax in the tropics with only 4.8kg weight and a 3mm shorty. Such a huge effort diving in Melbourne with 13kg of weight and a 7mm suit. I guess it is a matter of getting use to it. I have to do two more dives at 18m before being certified.
Thanks bergersau for your tips 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom