Hello from Phoenix, Arizona!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmlbytes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I got certified to dive in January. We bought all our own gear and have logged 10 dives since our certification.

We live in Phoenix, Arizona. The middle of the desert might seem like an odd place to start diving, but I've been surprised at how large the diving community is here, and how many dive shops we have. I guess us desert dwellers just like to get in the water when we can.

We decided that we wanted to learn to dive when we made a trip to San Carlos, Mexico last year. We did a lot of snorkeling while we were there. I signed us up for a charter boat, but they didn't have any snorkeling trips. The lady asked us if we'd like to go out on a boat with SCUBA divers. We did that, and we had a great time snorkeling above the divers. The only problem was, we wanted to be down there with the divers. We registered for classes a few months later, and now we are open water certified!

Since then, we have taken every opportunity to dive on the weekends, especially now that the weather is reaching 110+. The lake water feels GREAT this time of year. No need for a wet suit if you stay shallow.

I hope to learn a thing or two from participating on these boards, and maybe make a friend or two. If there are any other Arizona divers here, make yourself known!

---------- Post added June 26th, 2015 at 11:03 AM ----------

Also, I was hoping someone might have an opinion on a new diver using a backplate. My girlfriend's BCD just doesn't fit her quite right, and a backplate/wing setup looks like it might be a better "one-size-fits-all" solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom