New Diver looking for info on Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my open water done this weekend in anticipation of a trip to Thailand in February. I am looking to fly "somewhere" from Chaing Mai to dive for 2 or 3 days of 6 or 7 and then fly to Bangkok to return home. Have a non diving adult daughter with me so am looking for an island with some non diving activities. Anybody have a recommendation for an island for a beginning diver? She has been to Phuket so we are looking for an alternative that is easy to reach from Chaing Mai.

Hello, and congrats on the certification!
I can recommend Koh Samui. Before I got my certification, we stayed there, and when my husband went diving I did a cookery class! Although there are lots of other non-diving activities to do, too. I believe you go diving near another island (Koh Tao, maybe), but all the dive companies pick you up from the hotel and get you on a boat, etc. My husband was/is a fairly new diver, and I understand that the dives were in the beginner level. I am just not sure about the distance/travel from Chang Mai! I hope that is a little helpful. Have a great holiday.

Just another idea - Ao Nang in Krabi province has IMO better diving than Koh Tao and good dive ops, stunning scenery and a nice relaxing vibe with heaps for non divers to do. Diving from there you can do the Phi Phi sites as you can from Phuket as well as local island diving suitable for beginners. Have a good holiday whatever you choose :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom