Boost for a beginner!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipingwidow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking for some encouragement. I've just completed the pool portion of my PADI OW course and I'm not sure I want to keep going. I could really use some incentive. :blinking:

The training went well until the last session. We were told we'd passed and then our instructor asked if we wanted to practise anything and my hubby asked to do a mask removal. After five sessions without one bolt for the surface suddenly I choked really badly and had to go up. Three more attempts and I kept inhaling through my nose. When I realised I'd gone from a pass to a fail I was gutted. After choking again I dumped my mask in frustration and it sank. I decided this was it so I put in my regulator, dove down, got it, put it on and cleared it. Thankfully my instructor gave me the handshake and I was through. But it has knocked my confidence.

i went to the pool a few days later and practised with my snorkel until I could float facedown with just goggles and my snorkel not breathing through my nose. I must have inhaled half the pool trying but I got there! My sinuses burned the rest of the day.

So now I'm wary of doing it in open water and I'm so cross as it wasn't an issue at all. I had even choked before and stayed under and recovered. I think I did the classic of getting too tired and as I was breathing harder than usual I was inhaling through my nose and mouth. Lesson learnt.

Also, we're learning in Ireland where the water is 14degres C at best and the air around 5! I am usually shivering after an hours lesson in the pool so the sea is going to be miserable.

please someone tell me all the burning sinuses and freezing temperatures are worth it and that diving gets much better. A friend said to stick it out as once I get away and dive somewhere warm I'll be in love but right now I'm not feeling it.

Sorry for the huge moan. Lol

It's worth it. Just don't overthink it, plan your moves underwater and then do them.

Once you have your license to continue learning, go someplace warm to dive. You'll be amazed at the difference in experience it is.

If you truly desire to become a diver then it will happen. Be sure to take your time and speak up ANYTIME you aren't 100% comfortable with something. Your instructor should understand and be able to help you work through your challenges and discomfort. Like I always say "if I wanted a fast hobby, I would have taken up racing". Take it slow and steady and never forget to have fun.

Diving is much more than mere sport; it's adventure. Like all adventure it entails trial, risk, hardship, and sometimes pain. Is it worth it? That depends on what you're seeking in pursuing it. If it's adventure, then yes. If not, then no. Truthfully, the next trial you'll face is cold green water and (likely) poor visibility which will increase your natural anxiety. Get through that, and a whole new world awaits you! Stay with it. Sounds like you've got the right stuff!

Diving in a pool kind of sucks, and 14c is REALLY COLD! I wouldn't want to get in that water either. If you can get through the class, then you should LOVE some warm water tropical diving.

Since you're training with PADI, they do have a "referral program" I think it's called. If you take advantage of that, You could go somewhere tropical and complete your checkout dives with another instructor in warm clear water.

I would encourage you to complete the open water portion and get certified. I would not want to get in the cold water either but it will be worth it. I put off getting certified for years because my wife could not dive and I did not want to pursue something that we could not do together. We worked out a good trade when I got certified. I dive and she shops. One trick I found when removing my mask is to not get in a hurry. Remove your mask and take a couple of breaths with it off. Then put it back on and clear it.
Once you get certified head to the warm waters of the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom