Father and Son Rookie Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fraff2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, my name is Frank, my son Kevin and I have been diving for about a year. have been going to scubaboard more often as I am about to buy regs for us both and BC and Wet Suit for son. Lots of info here ! Looking into Scuba Pro and Oceanic for regs, Tilos or Akona for suit and maybe a DiveRite BC for son (12 yrs old). Any suggestions welcome !

Thanks - Dive and Prosper

fraff2

You have been renting equipment so far, right. Hopefully, you have tried different brands and models. Don't concentrate on buying any specific brand; find what works best. During my 12 year-old daughter's OW course last year, she used 3 different regulators and two different BCs, including the one that she dives with now.

You don't need to buy the most expensive gear your first time out. As you learn and experience more things, your needs and preferences may change. The gear that experienced NJ wreck divers use is rather different than what I use in FL reef dives. I'd probably not go to a boat in the Shark River marina with my plastic-bodied regulator, no pony bottle, and thin wet suit. I also have not dived that far north in many years. I'd want some refresher training, too.

Anyway, Good Luck!

fraff2:
Hello all, my name is Frank, my son Kevin and I have been diving for about a year. have been going to scubaboard more often as I am about to buy regs for us both and BC and Wet Suit for son. Lots of info here ! Looking into Scuba Pro and Oceanic for regs, Tilos or Akona for suit and maybe a DiveRite BC for son (12 yrs old). Any suggestions welcome !

Thanks - Dive and Prosper

fraff2

One thing you might consider is that your son is probably growing a decent amount each year and therefore may not fit in his wetsuit long...B/C, reg, etc., is probably more important (IMHO).

I have the DiveRite Transpac and really like it. I did swap it out for the backplate, but not because of any failing on the part of the transpac.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - it would really help in future discussion if you'd complete your Profile. Click "User CP" upper left of this page, then go down to "Edit Profile."

:D

You are going to be so glad you found this board. I have been diving for 16 years, yet have learned so much in the short time I have been on SB.

BTW - My Dad is my favorite dive buddy. We have such an amazing time together. Plus, the U/W communication with him is really amazing.

Welcome to SB!

K

Back
Top Bottom