Someone new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Egner

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey divers,

I'm new here, just looking for tips, instruction, friends, and gear. I was referred to the site by a friend I met in Dallas last weekend, but I didn't pick up his handle. I live in Edmonds WA, a few minutes away from a nice underwater park by the ferry landing.

I'm preparing to dive tomorrow, over on the Hood Canal. We'll drop the boat in a long, protected cove, as the tide goes out. About 1/4 mile from the cove inlet, my buddy and I will enter the water, and drift with the tide while we search for Dungeness crab and scallops. Our two non-diving friends will proceed to the beach near the inlet, now exposed by the low tide and covered with oysters. Guess what they do while we dive? That's right, and they'll bucket a bunch of steamers while they're at it. If everything is going smoothly, we'll dive a second tank outside of the cove, exploring the shelf.

It's great to be here, I look forward to hearing about all of your dives, and benefitting from your experience.

Steve

Welcome! Take a look around or do a search by topic. This board has a wealth of knowledge and a llot of people willing to offer advice.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - You may have hit the wrong button. Shows you to be be female?

:D

Thanks, Don.

I've made the appropriate gender modifications. Whew, everything's back to normal.

I noticed you're from TX. I flew over Amarillo last week, on my way back from Dallas. Thanks for the welcome.

Steve

Steve Egner:
Thanks, Don.

I've made the appropriate gender modifications. Whew, everything's back to normal.

Yeah, I think things will go smoother that way.

I noticed you're from TX. I flew over Amarillo last week, on my way back from Dallas. Thanks for the welcome.

Just south of Amarillo. Lots of jets fly over this part, between Dallas-Ft.Worth and the west cost. Not only on the way, Lubbock and Amarillo both have good airports for unplanned landings. Amarillo's old SAC Base strip is an alternate for the Space Shuttle.

Well well well lookie what the cat drug in. Jill and I had blast and kept most of our fingers when we went crabbing with you last time up there. Time flies doesn't it?

Hey Al,

Looks like I'm just a few minutes behind you. The weather isn't cooperating, but since it's mostly wet underwater anyway, we're sticking with our dive plan.

The instructor who AOW certified us in March suggested we charter his boat to do crab dives... all three tanks or in combination with other spots.

But you're going to Hawaii! There isn't a prayer of interesting you in cold water crabbing at the moment, is there?

Steve

Steve Egner:
Hey Al,

But you're going to Hawaii! There isn't a prayer of interesting you in cold water crabbing at the moment, is there?

Steve
Ummmmm, aaaaah, nope :D

When are you going back over to the islands?

Al Mialkovsky:
Ummmmm, aaaaah, nope :D

(When are you going back over to the islands?
)

Al,

We'll be back at Orcas from July 24 through August 3rd or 4th.
I'm in contact with Island Dive Charters out of Friday Harbor, they'll take us up to B.C. off Nanaimo to dive the H.C.M.S. Church and McKenzie, two military ships scuttled at 100 ft.
That will be in addition to our crab foraging, of course. We also found some neat wall dives up there (duh...basically everywhere you can get wet there is a great wall dive). You and Jill would be most welcome.

We're also in the early stages of planning for a Hawaii trip, Oahu or Maui, over Christmas and New Year, at least two weeks. I'll need to bend your ear some if we decide on Maui... I know it isn't the greatest time to go for diving, but it's sure a good time to get away from here.

Hope you spot this.

Steve

Steve Egner:
)

Al,

I know it isn't the greatest time to go for diving, but it's sure a good time to get away from here.

Hope you spot this.

Steve
I spotted this pretty quick.

It is a great time to dive there. This past winter was rougher than usual but at that time of year you'll be diving with whales. Even if you don't see them below the surface you'll hear them.

We'll be on Kona either the first two or second two weeks in August. The deal was tough to pass up so we're going there.

But two weeks isn't nearly enough for a dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom