Should I get a diveyak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I live in Utah where the diving is probably comparable to your local sewage treatment plant. However, I do have a good thing going for me. I work for an Southwest Airlines and can travel just about anywhere in the world. I grew up whitewaterrafting/kayaking and have been surfing in a sea kayak a few times so the idea of combining kayaking with my other favorite sport is very appealling. I just about bought a diveyak sight unseen the first time I saw one but have used all the self control I have in not doing so. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out.
Here goes, first, my wife also dives so is a tandem diveyak and equipment too much to transport via airline assumming that some airlines allow only 2 checked bags @ 50# per person? Second, I know sevylor makes many different inflatables ranging from, might make it through the day, maybe, to there could be a nuclear holocaust and this thing would still float, how durable is a tandem diveyak? Tough enough to make it past baggage handlers? Third, Although, I have a particular fondness with South Florida, that is where I got certified, does anyone know of any other good kayak diving destinations? Warm water is preferred, If I wanted to freeze my tail off I'd just go skiing. Finally, I understand the principles of getting back on the boat but have not been able to find anyones opinion on how difficult that was. It doesn't soung that hard but having done whitewater getting back in a raft isn't as easy as it sounds. Can anyone give me their opinion on that?

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

I am not at all a computer whiz, but I have most of these controls figured out. If I can help you learn to navigate around here, send me a PM. Click my handle in the upper left here, then click Send PM...

This is the Intros forum. Perhaps your question would be better answered on one of th others. Try Basic Scuba...?

don

BTW - it would really help in future discussion if you'd complete your Profile. Click "User CP" upper left of this page, then go down to "Edit Profile."

:D

There is one board member called 'Gilligan' - he's mostly in the photography sections - but he does a lot of kayak diving. He has his own website - http://kayakdiver.com/ - there is a lot of information about this topic - and I'm sure you could probably get more from him as well! By the way - welcome to SB!!

StuckinUtah:
I live in Utah where the diving is probably comparable to your local sewage treatment plant.

Wow, I am sorry to hear you say that. I love Utah, I think it has some of the nicest natural beauty in teh world. I have been on Lake Powell several times and I have always wondered how cool it must be to dive there.

Any news about diving there, is it done?

JAG

Back
Top Bottom