Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last_Basic

Reaction score
Hello All,

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Chris and I currently live in Reno,Nv. I certified as a Basic Diver way back in 1986. And really haven't done much in the way of diving for around 18 years or so.

I know most of you are thinking "Why?" my answer is I don't know. But lately I have been searching the web and reading more and more info on diving. And I need to know from you, what is the best way to get back into the hobby?

I know they did away with the "Basic" cert back in Sept 1986. My class was one of the last to be certified as Basic's. So Im thinking I would have to upgrade to Open Water? Or could I take a refresher course and be good to go?

Please feel free to send me your feedback, im a big boy and I can take it. :10:

Chris

Welcome aboard....

You may be able to "get by" with a refresher course, but if it's been 18 years since your last dive, I would recommend you take a certification course to re-learn the "basics" and enhance your skills...some of the theory may have changed since your PADI Basic Diver cert and a lot of the equipment has certainly evolved over the last 18 years.

Forget about it. There's no safer way than to start all over again. I know maybe you don't want to hear this, but if I were you I'll start from scratch.

The longest I've been out of the water is a couple of months... and I feel I need a refresher.

Don't even think about it. Start all over again and you'll be safe...and fall in love again with the ocean and everything in it.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Ask anything - in the appropriate forum, and we'll make up an answer...

I'd suggest a complete OW course, and lots of flights to LAX...

don

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom