Hi from Minden, NV and a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nvkay

New
Reaction score
I just returned 5 days ago from La Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. Along with my 15 year old son and 13 year old daughter, we earned our PADI open water certification at Tank Ha dive center. We went on 5 boat dives. This was the 1st time any of us dived. I can only say I had the best time of my life and It was more awesome than I could of dreamed. Now comes the hard part! Gearing up x's 3 and figuring out the next steps. We have visited a few dive shops. But it's hard to know where to start. My kids really felt comfortable at a NAUI shop in Reno, NV. Will It matter if we take the next level with a different certification? Also, once we improve our skills, I am hoping to find others diving with teens that we could buddy up with.
Thanks
Kay

Welcome aboard!! It really does not matter what agency you certified through, you may always change agencies for continueing education. In my opinion, NAUI would be a great organization to take your next course through, what are you looking at taking, Advanced Open Water? As far as Teens diving, you should have NO problem finding other families with teens to dive with.

Welcome to the sport and the board.

The inter-agency rivalries that used to be so intense have cooled over time, and most training agencies will honor most other agencies' certifications as you progress through the levels, at least in the early stages.

The point is to get back into the water with a dive shop/operator that you feel comfortable with, especially since you're with your kids. Agency affiliation is a distant, secondary consideration.

As for gaining experience through diving for fun vs. classes, there are always debates on the issue, but again, you want to proceed in a manner that makes the three of you feel most comfortable in the water. I progressed rapidly from OW to AOW, just because I felt that I had lots of questions after the OW course and wanted more structured training.

Bottom line - whatever lets the three of you get wet and come up safely is the right course!

Now all you have to do is visit South Florida for some warm, clear diving with the Florida Conch Divers. Be sure to visit our forum when you have a moment.

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Hello Kay.

It sounds as if you love the sport! If you are looking toward a LDS (Local Dive Shop), we shopped around and were very pleased with the personable, professional folks at Adventure Scuba in Reno.

FWIW, did you look into Strictly Scuba in Carson City? A close friend of ours took their class, and was pretty impressed. It would be better than driving the extra 45 minutes to Reno.

Since you were certified in warm water, be prepared for shock if you dive in Tahoe, though.

All the best, James

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Great news on the family cewrtification. It's not a cheap sport, but it is potentially dangerous, so you want to buy qualify gear - as you can afford it. Perhaps you can find a LDS that will offer you a good package discount, along with AOW & Nitrox training...

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Back
Top Bottom