Tank Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy James

Reaction score
Hi everyone Im just starting to get wet.I had a problem getting a couple of tanks filled and I thought I would see if anyone else had the same problem. I bought two 300din HP 100cf tanks from Abyss before they closed. When I took the tanks to be filled the guy said he couldnt fill them because they were made in Italy and not the USA. THese were brand new tanks with DOT markings and as far as I know everything is ok with markings.This was not a Dive shop but a fire & air company. I went because the nearest Dive shop is 90 miles away.Any Info That could would be great

They may not have the necessary fittings to fill your valves, most likely scenario IMHO. Instead of telling you that they either figured you wouldn't know any better since you probably admitted your new, new tanks, etc or they didn't know any better and figured if they didn't know what they were they must be European..

I'd make the same guess as CD. They aren't familiar with the tanks and don't have the fittings.
As long as you have DOT stamps the tanks should be fine. Faber tanks are made in Italy I believe, and they're all over the place.
You will also need a current VIP sticker to have them filled.

MD

if they have a DOT stamp on them, then there is no reason they could not fill them other than the fittings are some how different. Try a new LDS and if they have no problem filling them, you know who you should be doing business with.

All of that of course assumes a current hydro and VIS which given they are new should not be an issue.

I agree a DOT stamp is aproved for use in the US but the DIN value could have throw them. Since they are not a Dive Sop i agree again the did not have the adapter to fill.

The fittings on fire cylinders are theads on the outside of the valve, not internal. DIN (I think) came from Europe which is why the reference to the Italian manufacture. It is highly likely they would not have the necessary connection to fit a DIN. In fact, if they do not support a dive team, they would probably not even be capable of filling a standard valve.

Again, if they are not supporting a dive operation, they would most likely not know of the VIP requirements. Fire cylinders are only hydro'd and not inspected annually.

mobymark:
You can get Din Adapters from any dealer. We use only Din tanks with Int fittings here.

What kind of dealer do you mean?

Roy James:
Hi everyone Im just starting to get wet.I had a problem getting a couple of tanks filled and I thought I would see if anyone else had the same problem. I bought two 300din HP 100cf tanks from Abyss before they closed. When I took the tanks to be filled the guy said he couldnt fill them because they were made in Italy and not the USA. THese were brand new tanks with DOT markings and as far as I know everything is ok with markings.This was not a Dive shop but a fire & air company. I went because the nearest Dive shop is 90 miles away.Any Info That could would be great

Sounds like the fill guy was another "dive shop moron." Any cylinder with a DOT stamp and a VIS inspection can be filled in the USA. Probably the guy didnt know his ass from a hole in the ground as ussual.

Maybe the shop was so backwards they did not own a DIN adapter for the fill station. I always have 2 DIN adapters in my truck just in case I run into these morons while I am on the road.

Remember, just because you work in a dive shop or even own one does not mean you know anything about diving.

Curt Bowen:
Sounds like the fill guy was another "dive shop moron." Any cylinder with a DOT stamp and a VIS inspection can be filled in the USA. Probably the guy didnt know his ass from a hole in the ground as ussual.

Maybe the shop was so backwards they did not own a DIN adapter for the fill station. I always have 2 DIN adapters in my truck just in case I run into these morons while I am on the road.

Remember, just because you work in a dive shop or even own one does not mean you know anything about diving.
Curt,

The original post said it was not a dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom