Hearing-impaired divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there
Even though I joined in April, I haven't logged in much but I've realised this is a great website!

I've just started working on a diving and sailing liveaboard in Thailand, called Worldwide Dive and Sail. And because I'm deaf, we have facilities to cater for the deaf and hard of hearing. Mind you - I also love teaching hearing people as diving is for everybody!

Hope to hear from some of you guys soon - perhaps e-mail me on naomi@worldwidediveandsail.com if you want to know more.

Benvenuto a bordo from the middle of Mediterranean sea. :azvatar:
See your web site. seem interesting.
Kept your site in memory for a possible trip to the Andamane.

Hi welcome to the board.

Quick question? Have you seen or heard of Sea Signs, it is an ASL signlanguage offshoot for divers.
I am an instructor for seas signs and I am just wondering if you had seen the system and if so what did you think of it.

Thanks.

john

Hi Naomi,

It's too bad that you're in Thailand - I'd love to dive with you! I've been posting notes on several forums about the difficulties of communicating underwater, and I think that you might have an advantage over those of us who've grown complacent above the surface. I would love to learn nonverbal communication from somebody who uses it everyday. (Sort of like learning Spanish, since I've just moved to Miami - I never could get the hang of it in school, but down here, it just seems second nature to use it.)

And John, are SeaSigns available over the net? I've looked at a couple of web sites, but have only seen a few signs at each. Can you recommend a resource?

Best wishes and safe ascents to you both,
Grier

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Hi Naomi,

Since you joined in April, I offer you a belated welcome to ScubaBoard!

I've always thought that it would be a tremendous advantage for buddies to be able to communicate underwater using sign language that is more in depth than our typical handful of signals.

Someday I'd like to learn it. I think it would be especially helpful to learn it together with a group that you regularly dive with. Practice makes perfect, right?

Christian

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

It is great to see the world of diving grow. I believe we all could learn a lot from you.

Welcome to the community, glad you're aboard.

One of my dive buddies at the local aquarium is hearing-impaired, and also an OWSI. His ability to communicate is better than many hearing people I know. I'm glad to hear about your work in Thailand and also RIDIVER501s information on sea signs.

From a recreational DM PoV I have never had the opportunity to work with anyone physically challenged but have had many theoretical discussions around various scenarios. It is good to hear from someone who lives it, I may take you up on the opportunity to bend your ear more through e-mails.

Great to see there are so many replies! Scubaboard is brilliant - best one I've come around.

Yes, deaf people do have the slight advantage that they have a greater understanding of people under the water. People always have the need to talk, especially when they encounter the marvels of the underwater world!

As for SeaSigns - it's developing all the time. Have a look at www.seasigns.com and you will find a wealth of information there.

True, some people want to use diving for "peace and respite" but when you encounter a whale shark, as I did - all I wanted to do was to shout to other dive buddies - at least sign language will solve some of the problem!

And, even though I'm deaf, I actually speak as my main form of communication - hence I can liase with both deaf and hearing people. I'm really looking forward to doing my instructor course next year in Thailand too!

And, yes, will update my profile!

:crafty:

CD_in_Chitown:
Welcome to the community, glad you're aboard.

One of my dive buddies at the local aquarium is hearing-impaired, and also an OWSI. His ability to communicate is better than many hearing people I know. I'm glad to hear about your work in Thailand and also RIDIVER501s information on sea signs.

From a recreational DM PoV I have never had the opportunity to work with anyone physically challenged but have had many theoretical discussions around various scenarios. It is good to hear from someone who lives it, I may take you up on the opportunity to bend your ear more through e-mails.

Hi. Glad you liked website. Trip to Andaman only runs once a year as we sail from Thailand and it's a 3 week trip. Long time, but definitely worth it as one of the best diving spots! I can post you information about the Similan & Surin Islands trip if you are interested. Just let me know. Look forward to hearing from you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom