Best place in Silicon Valley/SF Bay area for diving lessons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JavaMan

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Can any of the SF Bay Area divers recommend a good shop/instructor? I'd prefer someplace in either the East Bay or Peninsula.

Thanks!

Hi From Kingston Ontario Canada..
Welcome to the SCUBA Board. Hope you enjoy the forum. Don't be afraid to ask Questions or to do Posts..
Hope all your days are wet ones.. or dry.. depending on how you dive..

Hi JavaMan

Can't help you with the question but I bet some of the gang can.
just wanted to wish you a Large Howdy from the State of Texas

Randy

JavaMan,

There are several excellent shops on the peninsula. I have used Diver Dan's Wet Pleasure in Santa Clara for gear purchases and used to DM with an instructor there for several years. The owner holds about every rating (including instructor trainer...) that is possible through PADI. I DM'd a Rescue class under Dan's supervision. He runs a "tight ship" and, he's fun to boot... In fact, Dan used to be the shops head instructor before he bought the place a few years back. Diver Dan's is just beginning to build there own pool on premises. Should be ready by this summer if you can wait.

In Mountain View, Peninsula Divers has a great reputation as well. I believe they teach SSI and other agency courses. Peninsula Divers has a small heated pool on premises for classes and gear trials.

Good luck.

Scott

And thanks for the dive shop info. A shop with a pool was exactly what I was looking for.

Are all the shops on the Peninsula or are there any in the East Bay? This would allow me to shoot over for classes after work during the work week without waiting for ever to cross the bridge :)

JavaMan,

I know of at least 4 other LDS in the San Jose area, but they are a ways south given that you'd be going after work in the commute traffic.

Diver Dan's Wet Pleasure www.diverdans.com
Peninsula Divers www.pendive.com

other good LDS (IMHO) in San Jose:
Pacific Offshore Divers www.podih20.com

Wallin's Dive Center www.wallins.com
also has a pool, but in Redwood City

Cheers.

Scott

A big bunny welcome from Ohio! There's a lot to learn here and the people treat you like family! ENJOY!
Ber :bunny:

Hi Java Man --

Welcome!

There is Diver Dan's in Santa Clara that has already been mentioned -- I have checked them out, and was disappointed in the reception I got at their shop -- I just didn't 'click' well with them.

My husband did his certification (at least up to the referral point) with Diver Dan's -- he also wasn't impressed, but managed to complete the skills and academic work. At the time they were training using the San Jose State University pool.

I have used Captain Aqua's which has a location in Dublin and in Hayward. They use the San Ramon (High School - I think?) Pool. I have bought gear from them and have been able to accompany them to the pool to check out the gear. However, I have not been overly impressed with them either.

I have not been able to find any other dive shops in the east bay.... so, I have been relying on Maui Dreams Dive Co -- yep, my "LDS" is 3,000 miles away!

Let me know if you discover a dive shop extrordinaire!

Liz

JavaMan,

There is a shop in the east bay called Captain Aqua. They are located in Hayward and also in Dublin.

The Hayward store is fairly new and they are still working at setting up their own indoor pool. You will usually find John, Jay or James running the store. Great bunch of guys.

Unfortunately, I have not taken a class with them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from people who have. That's why I will be taking my stress & rescue class with them later this year.

Anyway, check out their website to get more info.

www.captainaqua.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom