About to take PADI Open Water Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jesstotheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
I just did my classes this past weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday, whew I'm worn out!). But I had a problem with one excercise that we had to do. We had to go underwater, take our masks off for 1 minute, put them back on and clear the mask. I can clear the mask, I just get so freaked out not being able to see where I am. (I wear contacts so I always close my eyes). I heard we have to do this excerside in the Open Water Tests, has anybody else had problems like this? Any advise on how to get over my fear of my mask being off? And can anybody give me a runthough of what the Open Water Test consists Of?

jesstotheocean:
I just did my classes this past weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday, whew I'm worn out!). But I had a problem with one excercise that we had to do. We had to go underwater, take our masks off for 1 minute, put them back on and clear the mask. I can clear the mask, I just get so freaked out not being able to see where I am. (I wear contacts so I always close my eyes). I heard we have to do this excerside in the Open Water Tests, has anybody else had problems like this? Any advise on how to get over my fear of my mask being off? And can anybody give me a runthough of what the Open Water Test consists Of?

You've seen all the test questions before. They're all in the knowledge review sections of your book in one form or another. If you read and understood the book and did your homework the test is easy.

Try something for me. Close your eyes right now and tell us if you get scared. Ok, open them again (hmmm should have said this first....).

Point is this fear (actually all fear) is in your head. What is the worst possible thing that could happen to you if you close your eyes under water?

R..

P.S. Oh and welcome to Scubaboard and congratulations on getting started with the world's coolest pastime.

hi and welcome to the board. i wear contacts too and one of my biggest fears is that someone will kick off my mask. but don't forget you have a buddy who must help you find your mask should this happen. what kind of contacts do you wear? i wear dailies so it wouldn't really hurt if i had to open my eyes under water and lose my lenses. i just won't do it for an exercise.
why are you freaked out because you can't see anything? there's really nothing to be afraid of. relax, take the mask off, pause, put it back on. nothing to worry about, nothing will happen. you're safe if you just do the exercise like you practiced.

Well when my mask if off I want to breathe from my nose and the bubbles from me breathing were going up my nose and in my eyes. I guess it's just something I'll have to practice in a pool.

after you pass the open water you can always go to your local dive shop with a note from your doctor and the dive shop will put the lens in your mask. whether all dive shops do this i really don't know
as far as taking the mask off, it is so if you should ever lose your mask under water, you won't panic and your dive buddy will help you put it back on. good luck with the test and have a wonderful time with diving

nite_diver

Lots of students have trouble with this and it's because they haven't practiced it enough. Having a mask strap break or a mask get knocked of is something that could happen any time. IMO, it isn't wise to leave the pool until you're comfortable with this.

If your mask come off on a real dive you'll still need to stay with your buddy and manage the situation. That will probably require you to open your eyes. May as well get used to it now.

It is OK to open your eyes under water. It mayl burn for a few seconds and things are a tad blury, but at least you can see where you are and perhaps you will not be as nervous. My wifes totaly panics when she has to remove her mask. She practices in our pool, and it has helped. There could be times when someone kicks your mask while in a big group diving, or your strap could come loose. So PLEASE get used to the excerise they are teaching you for your own safety. Have a Blessed Day! Jamie

The mask removal, replacement, and clearing skill seems to be one of the most difficult for many students judging by the amount of times it gets posted in the forums. I hope you'll be able to use this advise in conjunction with what's been said already. Think first, then do. Meaning run through it mentally, then attempt the exercise. You know you can do it, it's a mental challenge, not necessarily a physical one.

By the way, welcome to Scubaboard! You'll love it here.

Howdy!

I just want to join the others in welcoming you to SB. Hope to get to know you around the forums.

You'll get better with the mask thing with practice, like everything else we learn. You can go ahead and order the prescription lens for your mask now, if you'd like, but your mask may have to be sent off. Go ahead and ask now, though.

Be sure to check out our New To Scuba forum for lots more help.

Completing your Profile and seperately - keeping your Dive Info up to date helps in future diving discussions. PM me if I can help you learn your way around.

don
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom