Hello, new diver here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silt

Reaction score
Hi,

Wanted to introduce myself. I did my open water checkout dives this weekend at Dutch Springs and am really stoked about diving again in the future. Currently have a trip planned to Cancun in November.

I found Dutch Springs pretty interesting, not alot of marine life but some interesting "wrecks" and a navigational challenge if one is not using the ropes. I was preoccupied with the class skills so I didnt make it to the helicopter but will go for that next time.

The dives were fun until I got to the thermocline in which case my 3mm didnt quite hold up. I will also need to spend some time on boyancy and my compass work. I did have a hard time breathing when on the platforms and was looking up, which really spooked me at first thinking my air was running out. I have since searched this board and found the answer being the differences in pressure between the stage 2 and your lungs since they are at different levels in the water. I will search but had a question regarding equipment failure at depth, such as a problem with the first stage. Do I have any other options other than - buddy, emergency swimming ascent, and redundant air source? I just find it comforting that had I breathed the tank dry at 60 then went to 45 I could probably get another breath, and I assume there is no such luck with an equipment malfunction. Bear in mind I dont plan on breathing the tank dry.

Anyway, Hello to you all

Silt

Welcome to the board and diving. Best thing you can do is get more expeirence/practise because you will then get more comfortable underwater and start looking at the things underwater closer.

Besides down South, another place you might consider dviing next summer is the ST. Lawrence seaway/river between NY and Canada. water temp after June is about 70 degree top to bottom, and its a reasonable drive from NJ.

Welcome again

Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Congratulations on your new certification!

You'll get more answers to your question if you post it in our New 2 Scuba forum. I'm not sure what "other" options you would have (or need) in addition to a "buddy, an emergency swimming accent, and redundant air source".

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Hi Silt, my name is Matt. I would like to welcome to the Board! :balloon

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!

I'm off in Alantic Beach NC tonight to dive WWII wrecks this weekend, but brought my laptop with me. Scuba is my sport, but SB is my obsession - and I'd hate to be away all weekend if I didn't have to?!

Completing your Dive Info will help in future diving discussions. You can use the Quick Links menu above for this. PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message."

don :shades:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom