New Guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kraimz

Reaction score
Hi all. I just received my C card so I'm really excited now! I have my first dive trip planned already to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in Feb. Chico's if anyone has had experience with them. Opinions are great.
One question that I have for everyone. How do I calm my wife down? She's seen the trailer for Open Water and has not stopped since. Starting to wonder if she's already spending the insurance money... LOL
Anyway, Hi all

Welcome aboard!! You can start by telling her that they had to bait the actors with chum to get those sharks to come around them like that, yes, they were real sharks.

Thank you sir.
Chum. I always loved that word for some reason. Makes me laugh.
I guess I didn't realize they were real sharks. Haven't seen the movie but have heard a lot of talk about it since the trailer came out.

Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard! Non-divers I think get scared a little easier by OW then divers... so maybe you could just tell her that a lot of it wasn't very accurate at all!!

Have a great time in Mexico! Post a trip report when you get back!

Safe diving!
Kayla :dazzler1:

kraimz:
Hi all. I just received my C card so I'm really excited now! I have my first dive trip planned already to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in Feb. Chico's if anyone has had experience with them. Opinions are great.
One question that I have for everyone. How do I calm my wife down? She's seen the trailer for Open Water and has not stopped since. Starting to wonder if she's already spending the insurance money... LOL
Anyway, Hi all

I got my C-card a few months ago and have gotten wet every chance I get.

One piece of advice for the wife thing (really more advice in general) - take it slow and do lots of easy dives. Show her that it is a relatively safe sport. I guess I'm saying don't go to Mexico and do a 130' wreck dive and expect her to go along with it. Hang out on a 45' reef and enjoy the show. She'll get comfortable after she sees your safe and proficient in your skills. My wife still worries about it, but after a few months she's beginning to relax.

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!

You are really much more likely to be hurt by a falling vending machine that stole your money that you will a shark. Hell, never see 'em. We're not what they're looking for. Scuba itself is potentially dangerous, but generally the drive to the dive site is where most injuries happen.

Completing your Dive Info will help in future diving discussions. You can use the Quick Links menu above for this. Sizing a photo for your profile or Avatar can be a challenge; I'm a fumbling amateur, but I get the job done, if you'd like any help?

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message."

And if you're going to be in Houston Oct 16 - for the DEMA show or any other reason, you're even invited to a SB Bar-B-Q dinner! Click here: http://scubaboard.com/t73366-swampers-bbq-update-and-current-info.html or PM me for assistance in signing up for it. Dee wanted to know sooner, but she can squeeze a few in late. I wouldn't miss this for anything! :thumb:

don :shades:

Kayla, I'll make sure that I do a little post when I get back. But I am a male so you know, it may take me a while to remember.
616fun, That's pretty much what I have planned. I'm more of a confident but causious type when I'm new to something such as this. Don't know if I'll ever go that deep. I guess it depends on how long I've been diving at that point and what is down there. As of right now I'm not even thinking about going that deep.
DandyDon, I'm actually crying I'm laughing so much. I did that exact thing today at lunch. Except the machine didn't fall over. I still lost my money so I lost the fight but I made my point. LOL

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Check out our Mexico forum for more info on Chico's in Puerto Vallarta.

Ask your wife is she is planning on moving away from Minnesota because of the all the Lyme Disease and West Nile you get from your state bird (that's the mosquito for all of you that haven't been there). You've got a better chance of being killed by that than a shark attack.

For that matter what about those tornados or straight line winds you get up there. Those probalbly kill more people every year than shark attacks.

Movies are fictional. Even though Open Water was based on a true story, no one knows what happened to those people after the time that they were left behind by the boat. So the entire movie is just fiction. For the movie, they couldn't get the sharks to bother those divers until they chummed the water and put them into a frenzy. So, unless you're planning to splash around the ocean surrounded by lots of raw meat, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think most of us are really excited about it when we have the opportunity to swim with sharks. There are a few exceptions, of course. Not to many people are looking to swim with Great Whites without a cage. Then again I don't think there are too many people who see those with any regularity (if at all) while diving.

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Hi there ,
Welcome to Scuba Board - the greatest online place, the fastest growing, and the nicest! You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers about scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving from Matt. :thumb:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom