New Diver! Looking to go to Roaton in March: Need Advice:)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Diving has been one of my dreams ever since I snorkled in Bonaire, and was unable to go as deep as I desired! I have moved to Honduras to teach for a year, and I would like to go with some friends to Roaton from the 19th-28th of March for a vacation. If any of you have any advice for a new diver in where to stay, which places to take lessons from, the cheaper venues, what I should bring, etc., please let me know! Thank you for your help:) Christina

Hi there,

I was in Roatan's west end for 9 days in 2001. I did some spectacular dives with a company called Ocean Divers, and are now called Ocean Connection. Once we bought their package, they let us dive very inexpensively on a per dive basis - basically we paid the same rate per dive after the package ended, as we had for the package. Very reasonable folks. Their divemaster, Wendy (an expat Brit) is a hoot - we were with her when she saw her first whale shark (we weren't in the water when that happened, but that didn't stop her from going over and snorkelling with it).

Anyway, you can try them at:

http://www.ocean-connections.com/index.htm

Martin.

I am very much a newbie myself and plan to take my DM in Roatan in October.
Like many popular dive locations, there are a lot of places to dive with.
Any info you post will be highly appreciated. Being so 'New' please be sure to listen to more experienced folks here, whom I learn from myself.

I'm also keen on a CELTA credential, (in Brazil) though that is behind my dive efforts for now.

I have been corresponding with these folks who are situated in the middle of the island. (pretty close to the airport) Plan do do a month here.
http://subwaywatersports.com/Diving/diving.htm

I joined this other group to research apartments. (found in a blog)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roatan/

Everyone's thoughts and opinions are valuable to me, so spear me if you see it necessary ! My very best wishes of luck to you and your diving efforts.

Hope something here helps.

Hi There isoinspira,
Welcome to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving

-Matt- :palmtree::sunny

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

isoinspira:
Hi everyone! Diving has been one of my dreams ever since I snorkled in Bonaire, and was unable to go as deep as I desired! I have moved to Honduras to teach for a year, and I would like to go with some friends to Roaton from the 19th-28th of March for a vacation. If any of you have any advice for a new diver in where to stay, which places to take lessons from, the cheaper venues, what I should bring, etc., please let me know! Thank you for your help:) Christina

You would have a great time, [ good value] good diving and good support staff at Fantasy Island Resort on Roatan.

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Thank you all for your help! The websites that were given to me are fabulous! I appreciate everything:) You all are wonderful helps to a first-timer!

Gracias!!
Christina

Our group dove there 2 years ago in May. Stayed at Fantasy Island and I agree with Pilot Fish that it is a nice resort and dive operation. I don't know about March, but in May the prevailing winds are from the south. We had constant (day and night) 20 mph+ winds and fought 3-6 ft. waves for the entire week. My wife took a day trip to Anthony's Key to do the dolphin dive and had much calmer seas. Check for the prevailing weather for the time of your trip and try to stay on the lee side of the island. Since you just started diving you don't want to try to get on a boat that's bouncing up and down 5 or 6 ft.

Hi! I'm a new member too...these boards are great and a wealth of information.

About Roatan...I'm heading back there for 6 weeks on Feb. 19th. It will be our second time there and will be returning to dive with Bananarama Dive (www.banaramadive.com). We found them to have great prices, new gear, and very professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom