New to the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbait

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the board and I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.

I live in the Seattle area where I have been diving for 17 years.

Hi Sharkbait,

Isn't the diving awfully cold up there? Do you dive with a drysuit or are you one of these die-hard people who relish a dip in the chilly waters of the north?

Anyway, welcome to Scuba Board. Your questions, comments and input are always welcome. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Cheers,

Diving in a good drysuit is pretty much a requirement around here. Generally people start out in wetsuits then quickly graduate to diving dry. There is nothing worse than getting out of the water on a cold, rainy day and not being able to warm up between dives.

My wife and I like diving around the northern end of Vancouver Island. We've both done some tropical diving and I'm real sorry but the diving up there beats it hands down. The only draw back is its a tad chilly.

Hi Sharkbait,

I had heard that the marine life up there was pretty good. I will just have to get my drysuit cert before I take the plunge up there. I am pretty much of a wimp when it comes to diving in cold water.:cold: Shoot, I don't even like to dive in Southern CA in the winter cause I get cold so fast it's not worth the while to even get suited up.

So the diving near Vancouver is better than tropical, eh? What makes it so much better? Is it plant life? Pelagics? Better photo ops? Tell me more, tell me more!

Sorry about that, I have a tendency to get a little excited sometimes. :wink: hehe

Cheers,

heya Sharkbait,

Cold water diving rules!!! Ok, the secret is out! I am a bit odd. I do dream of nice cold dives over warm tropical dives. (and yes, ladydiver is a wimp, anything above her 100 degree showers is considered cold!) hehe

While statoned in Fort Lewis, I loved to make the drive to dive in the cold waters and no I don't use a dry suit, hehe, told you I was odd.

=-)

yep, gotta admit, i have nothing but fond memories of winter diving in our 47 - 57 degree water!! Although, i have to confess, that being in 47 degree water off of San Miguel Island here in Sunny So Cal with nothing more than a 1/4 inch Farmer John does build a bit more character than i'd like!

A few years ago i got a leaky old crushed neoprede drysuit (orange and blue job) that i dragged out of the closet recently. The thing leaks a little but i think that thats because i tend to be too lazy to fuss with it and don it properly (camera gear gets the lion's share of all the fussing). Anyone know a good repair service where i could have it modified to become more, ahem, "bladder-friendly" ?

and a WARM welcome from north of the 49th. Welcome to your "new" family, you'll meet lots of folks here, some a wee bit unique than others, but all are friendly.

Welcome Sharkbait. any story behind your name? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom