Hello From Philadelphia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spcorley

New
Reaction score
Well, I got cert this summer and found out that my friends are either full of talk or just bad at budgetting.

How does one go about diving without dive buddies? <sniffle>

I have a trip planned for Thailand this fall and want to hop on a liveaboard. Am I going to get stuck with training classes?

(I like the icons, picked the tan and sunny one in shades. Boo ya!)

hey! just go & interview everyone & pick a good buddy! or offer to take someone here...:wink: welcome to the board.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Try the buddy forum :D

Welcome to SB....Philly huh, I was born and raised in Philly. I live in the Mountains of Pennsylvania now...PM me if you want to get wet within 3 hours of Philly...:59:

spcorley:
Well, I got cert this summer and found out that my friends are either full of talk or just bad at budgetting.

How does one go about diving without dive buddies? <sniffle>

I have a trip planned for Thailand this fall and want to hop on a liveaboard. Am I going to get stuck with training classes?

(I like the icons, picked the tan and sunny one in shades. Boo ya!)

Hi,

Welcome to Scuboard !

Thailand is a great dive destination. If you're thinking of a liveaboard, I would presume you are thinking of diving off Phuket. I would suggest that you log a few more dives while you can before heading out on the LOB. The dives off Similan are quite deep for a beginner and you may have to contend with currents.

Early fall is not a good idea as the monsoon would still be blowing although it would be the tail-end . DO NOT GO OUT until the monsoon is well over. Late November to early December would be the earliest. Some people go out earlier but I don't think it would be advisable for a newbie as the sea can be a little unpreditable.

If you are going out on a LOB on your own, you will have many hours to talk to others on board before you get to your first dive. Talk to the others and try and find out about their experience and diving preferences and pick a buddy from there.

Prepare well; remember your OW training on safety practices and you will have a great time.

Most of my dive trips have been alone. You go and make the best of it. :D

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Welcome to the board. You could call the liveaboard which you plan on using and ask them who will be on the trip with you. As for dive buddies, we have a club section that you can find buddies in your area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom