New to Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsbo18

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to scubaboard and so far I love what I see. I've been diving since 1993, but I haven't been very active since I lived in Pensacola FL. I'm getting back into it since I moved to California about a year ago. I typically dive about 16 dives a year in Key West FL while my squadron is training down there. My wife just got certified and we are going to Hawaii next week. Now that I'm becoming more active in diving, I'm interested in spearfishing and getting some new equipment. I'd also like to learn to service my own gear and the DIR forum interests me as well. If you have any advice on any of these subjects, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Brandon

Welcome aboard Brandon! You will definitely find the information you are looking for here. You might visit ScubaBoard > Regional Travel & Dive Clubs > North America > United States > California Kelp Divers > NorCal to make some new diving friends.

Enjoy!

wetrat

Welcome to the board!

Joe

welcome to the board. where in hawaii are you going/coming to? If it is O'ahu pm me and maybe we can get in a dive or two.

Melissa

You didn't dive much in the 80 degree water, but you're getting active now in the 50 degrees? Okay....?

Oh, Calif diving is great, and I'm sure you'll have a blast in Hawaii.

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

I really appreciate all the replies! Melissa, we are headed to Maui, otherwise I would really appreciate someone showing us around on our first trip to Hawaii. We are planning on diving the Molokini crater and somewhere on Lanai. Beyond that, I plan to beach dive several spots on the northwestern side of Maui. Do you have any other advice?

Don, I know it sounds wierd that I didn't dive much in warmer waters and now I'm trying to get active in California, let me explain. I only lived in Pensacola for about a year. During that year I went diving quite a bit. From there, I moved to Corpus Christi Tx, where you need a boat to get to good vis. That cut back on my diving quite a bit. Then I moved to Meridian MS, then to Virginia Beach, then to Beaufort SC, I didn't dive much at all in those three places. Basically, I could only dive when my squadron went somewhere that was a good place to dive like St John, Key West, or Bahrain. Also, because I'm expected to fly for a living, its difficult to get dives in. Usually, I can only dive on the Saturday during a weekend. Anyway, now I'm on shore duty, and I can usually get away for the weekend to dive. On top of that, my wife just got certified, so now we can do it together. As a bonus, the squadron I'm in now goes to Key West for about 2 weeks at least 4 times a year. Anyway, sorry for the long explanation, I knew it sounded weird.

Murph and wetrat, thanks for the links - I'll definitely check them out. I could use some good advise on where to go in California besides San Carlos Beach in Monterey.

Brandon

I can't help you out with diving on Maui (haven't been there yet), but Kidspot lives there and could point you in the right direction. Congrats to your wife with her certification and enjoy your trip. If you all ever come to O'ahu (anytime until April 2007 when we PCS) PM us and we can show you around.

Back
Top Bottom