Hello from Western Pennsylvania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RangerRich

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just joined, hi to all!

I just got back into diving after a 10 year break, looking for info about local diving and to get re-integrated into the diving community =)

RangerRich:
Just joined, hi to all!

I just got back into diving after a 10 year break, looking for info about local diving and to get re-integrated into the diving community =)
Welcome to SB! You have certainly come to the right place. No doubt, you can get info on just about anything and it's a great way to meet fellow divers in your area. I'll bet the leaves are beginning to show signs of fall- I love the mountains in the fall/winter. I have a non-diver friend in Alegheny (sp?) area, SW corner of Pa. Anyway- SB is a good place to get up to date (since you've been on a pretty long break!) You're gonna love it here, I do :insertheartbeatsmiliehere: (mods just changed smilie options on the board and we (mostly me) have ISSUES!!!!! sheesh, it's killin' me!.........<sulks away>...no more kissy-face smilie....no more groucho marx eye-brows.... and the one with the tears, why does it move that eye-brow like that?...

Hope we can help you here. Welcome back to the wet world...

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

:icecream1 Hi there RangerRich, I just wanted to make you feel welcome, when I joined many people introduced themselves. On Scuba Board, you will find there are many informative divers here. It’s a good place too, for meeting other divers. If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me.

Enjoy being a member. Matt.​

Wow, thanks for the great welcome! :D

I was going to ask an altitude diving question but I found my trusty ole Advanced Openwater Diver Manual (circa 1985). I wonder if it's worth anything as an antique :11:

Lil38:
Welcome to SB! You have certainly come to the right place. No doubt, you can get info on just about anything and it's a great way to meet fellow divers in your area. I'll bet the leaves are beginning to show signs of fall- I love the mountains in the fall/winter. I have a non-diver friend in Alegheny (sp?) area, SW corner of Pa. Anyway- SB is a good place to get up to date (since you've been on a pretty long break!) You're gonna love it here, I do :insertheartbeatsmiliehere: (mods just changed smilie options on the board and we (mostly me) have ISSUES!!!!! sheesh, it's killin' me!.........<sulks away>...no more kissy-face smilie....no more groucho marx eye-brows.... and the one with the tears, why does it move that eye-brow like that?...

Leaves not turning here quite yet :10: It was in the 80s F here today. Still plenty of good warmish water diving this year. Allegheny county is where I am as well. Sorry to hear about the mods changing up the emoticons :).

Thanks for the wonderwul welcome!

RangerRich:
Wow, thanks for the great welcome! :D

I was going to ask an altitude diving question but I found my trusty ole Advanced Openwater Diver Manual (circa 1985). I wonder if it's worth anything as an antique :11:
Uh, there have been some updates in 20 years, surely. You might post your question in the Basic Scuba forum and ask for a link to current table. I forget where they are, but someone will have them.

In particular, what altitude, how long between arrival and diving, how deep, are you going to increase altitude after diving?

DandyDon:
Uh, there have been some updates in 20 years, surely. You might post your question in the Basic Scuba forum and ask for a link to current table. I forget where they are, but someone will have them.

In particular, what altitude, how long between arrival and diving, how deep, are you going to increase altitude after diving?

Well, fortunetly I decided to update my equipment a bit and bought a Suunto Cobra. It has an adjustment for 3 different altitudes, 0-1000ft, 1000-5000ft and 5000-10000ft.

The atltitude at the site isn't all that high, but better safe, it's a lake at 3600ft. So I will use A1 mode (1000-5000ft)

Depth plan to do 2 dives, first to 60ft, 2nd to 40ft. I do not plan on increasing altitude after the dive.

murphdivers286:
Welcome to the board. I bet the equipment has change a little...

Umm yeas, equipment has changed a bit. Actually mostly in the area of computers, when I was into diving last the Orca was all the rage, it wasn't air integrated and was about the size of a brick :11: My new Cobra does everything the Orca did and way more.

The other thing that struck me was in the areas of BCs, the new wing style like the Zeagle Ranger makes a LOT of sense. Back in the day some people were still using the old horse collars with a backback. The newest thing out then was the jacket BC.

DIN valves are new, Enriched air recreational diving is new.

Nothing much has else changed equipment wise.

Back
Top Bottom