Neoprene Allergy Reaction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EbonyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just recently started my course in Suba Diving. First of all I was frustrated after my first pool class....multi tasking....great difficulty!! While in the water my feet are itching....class is over i take a shower....come home take ANOTHER shower (at least i'm clean, lol) yesterday (Thursday) my feet and ankles are covered in a rash and very itchy! I rule out all other possibilites and then it dawns on me....I match my booties up to my feet....well....the rash stops at where the booties cut off!! I have a known allergy to Latex. I really want to keep going with my course and continue to dive afterwards but......
Anyone have any suggestions? I would REALLY appreciate any and all input.

See a doctor.

the K

Welcome to the board... Yes, see a doctor. Try to find a doctor who knows a lot about diving. They may be able to help a little more than an average MD

:sunny Hi EbonyDiver,

I would like to Welcome you to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me.

Take care and Safe Diving

:palmtree:
-Matt-

Hey, welcome to the board and to diving!

Have you got any reaction from the rest of the suit? Or is it just your feet?

Are they your boots or borrowed / rental? Try bunging them through a wash, there may be some gunk in the neoprene...

Hope it works out for you
Simon

Simon L:
Hey, welcome to the board and to diving!

Have you got any reaction from the rest of the suit? Or is it just your feet?

Are they your boots or borrowed / rental? Try bunging them through a wash, there may be some gunk in the neoprene...

Hope it works out for you
Simon

Hi Simon,
The boots were brand new and I have only had them on the one time at the pool. Anything in particular I should wash them in?
Thanks
Tonya

Hi Tonya and welcome to SB this is a great place to meet folks and talk diving...Good Luck in your neopreme search, hope you can find a answer and continue diving. If you need anything PM me and I'd be glad to help or direct you in the right direction

You should not wear the dive boots again if you have a latex allergy until you determine the composition of the boots and if there is a latex component or there is a cross reactivity. A dermatologist with an expert knowledge of allergic contact dermatitis (type IV hypersensitivity) would be advised. This is serious and you should not risk another reaction. See a doctor. Do I understand correctly that you did not have any reaction to the wet suit (neoprene?) that you wore? If no reaction to the neoprene suit you must not have a neoprene allergy, so change the boots to neoprene.

vyperman:
You should not wear the dive boots again if you have a latex allergy until you determine the composition of the boots and if there is a latex component or there is a cross reactivity. A dermatologist with an expert knowledge of allergic contact dermatitis (type IV hypersensitivity) would be advised. This is serious and you should not risk another reaction. See a doctor. Do I understand correctly that you did not have any reaction to the wet suit (neoprene?) that you wore? If no reaction to the neoprene suit you must not have a neoprene allergy, so change the boots to neoprene.

Hi, Thanks for the input, but I have "just" started my diving course and it was the first night in the pool using the "basic" equipment, so all I had on was the boots the suit was supposed to be next week. A suggestion of wearing socks (just regular ones) was made by the assistant instructor...what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom