Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Wreck Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if people out there think its worth getting my divemasters for someone who is not really work at a dive shop? I finished my rescue diver course and wanted to take another course that is challenging and I was wondering if the dive masters was worth it?

Good question, Rescue diver is a pretty good level I would think if you don't plan on working in the industry. I have heard that those with dive master rating, don't let it be known when diving for the own pleasure with groups, as they get put to work watching other divers without being paid for it. Maybe a Mod could move this thread from the introduction forum to the Basic Scuba Discussion forum.

Welcome to the board. The DM course is very challenging. Maybe Baitedstorm will pipe in here and post her thoughts.

Here's one of the "cons" you might run into.

While I think the training might be worthwhile, if you are a Dive Master and are on a dive with other people, even strangers, you might be held liable in a lawsuit if there is an accident, even if you had nothing to do with it, just because you are a DiveMaster. If you are going to not work as a DiveMaster, chances are that you won't have DM insurance either, which if a lawsuit happens, could be a financial issue for you.

I think a typical scenario in a lawsuit would be for the lawyers to supena the dive shop/boat for a list of all people involved, release forms, etc, which will point out you are a dive master. The lawyers won't care that you didn't work there or weren't involved. They'll just see you as another person to add the "sue" list.

All of these are 'what ifs" but it could happen. Just something to think about.

:confined: Hello there NJ Wreck Diver, My name is Matt and I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. If you’d like to chat, please PM me. Just wanted to make you feel welcome!

Safe Diving, Take care.:azvatar:

I'm not going for DM - my next course if TDI Deco training...

:cowboy2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

I am in the last stages of PADI DM right now, packing for a 2 days of OW checkout dives as a matter of fact. Unless you intend to actually be a DM or instructor, frankly it's a waste of a lot of money and time. A lot of the "skills" you learn as a DMC are a good bit different than you actually use in the real world. For example, it takes me about 8 seperate steps and 45 to 60 seconds to demo flooding and clearing a mask. Real world, 2 or 3 steps and 5 to 10 seconds. The skills you aquire are geared toward teaching people how to do the skill, not how to do it real world. You learn how to demo it well to non divers (students), not fast and efficiently - totally different goals. Or how to do a perfect fin pivot, lots of use for that. The hardest thing for me has not been the skills themselves but learning to sloooooow down and break things into steps. I now find I have to alternate between 2 ways of doing many of the basic skills depending on if a student is around or not.
On the other hand, you do learn quite a bit more dive physics and biology but if you are interested in that, buy the "Encylopedia of Recreational Diving" and read it yourself, no real reason to take the test. Your awareness and buoyancy skills do improve but that's more due to the time you spend in the water and watching the students than any instructuction. I don't have any plans to become an instructor but I do have to admit I have enjoyed working with the students and will most likely continue to DM for some of the instructors.
If you want to really learn new skills or improve on your current ones, I would suggest DIR-F and cavern as a couple of good choices. I don't care for a lot of the DIR BS but there is no question in my mind that the DIR-F is one of the best courses for improving your basic skills like buoyancy, trim, buddy awareness and gas management. DIR_F and rescue are the best 2 courses I have taken to learn how to be better diver.

Thanks for all of your replies. now I have a better idea
Thanks
NJWD

herman:
...Unless you intend to actually be a DM or instructor, frankly it's a waste of a lot of money and time. A lot of the "skills" you learn as a DMC are a good bit different than you actually use in the real world.

I have to agree with Herman on this one.

herman:
...On the other hand, you do learn quite a bit more dive physics and biology but if you are interested in that, buy the "Encylopedia of Recreational Diving" and read it yourself, no real reason to take the test.

The software version of this reference could be much better. It does have a Q&A section, but I found that the interface was a bit weak.

I also downloaded the US Navy Diving Manual, which has a much more detailed description of dive physics, etc. The file is very big. Your really only need the first few chapters. A copy is available for download from http://www.vnh.org/DivingManual/DMTOC.html

If you're looking for a course to learn and improve on knowledge and skills, and have no intention of going pro, Master Diver might be a better choice. I don't know about the other agencies, but NAUI's Master Diver is an excellent course.

Back
Top Bottom