Appreciation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaFord

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate this wonderful resource and all who contribute. I am in the process of OW certification...checkout dives are this weekend...and I've come to this board many times for information, insight, and quite honestly, a lot of reassurance. I've always enjoyed the water, but at 43, had convinced myself that I was no longer a strong enough swimmer, that I was "afraid" of stepping into dark water that I couldn't see through, what if I couldn't master the neccessary skills, I'm too old for this, etc...things I'm sure you've all heard before. And the first night of OW class was no help...I was old enough to be "mom" to everyone in the class except the instructor! Yeow!!! Class turned out to be wonderful...a great instructor with a wealth of knowledge and a sense of humor. My first pool session was okay...but I had, as I perceived it, a difficult time with mask removal/clearing. I did it, and the instructor was content with my ability, but it left me feeling frazzled and un-nerved the rest of the night...and in a state of dread for the next 2 days until the second pool session, as I knew I would not only have to completely remove the mask, but swim without it for a distance before replacing it and clearing. Auuughhh!!! This is where ScubaBoard comes in, and I give much of the credit of my success in the second pool session to this board! I found so many posts that offered not only helpful information, but the much needed boost to my psyche that I was not alone with these circumstances and feelings. I still have a few butterflies (hmmmm...could be guppies, I suppose!) about my checkout dives this weekend, but I'm looking forward to the adventure. If you can stand a bit of advice from a newbie...directed at anyone new to the sport or even considering taking up SCUBA...Take the time to explore your local dive shop(s) and really get to know the folks working there. These places provide something far beyond the "dive gear" sitting on the shelves. On that note, my thanks to Kat, Tim, and everyone at Splash...you're wonderful, and I hope you how much I appreciate all of your help!

J~

Hey JaFord, welcome to ScubaBoard and glad to hear it has helped you out. Good luck on your check out dives and have fun here on the board and safe diving.
David

:dance: Hi there JaFord, Thanks for checking out scuba board, you will definitely like it here, I know I do! If you want someone to chat with feel free to pm me. Take care and dive safe. Matt :monkeydan

Welcome to the board.
OW this weekend? At Lake Rawlings? If so, I will be wondering around there with a class of OW students myself. If you see a black BC and a topical head cover it's most likely me, say hello.
You will do fine, we all had some problems in the beginnning.

Good to have you here - check out our New Divers forum...

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Woohooo!!!! Open Water dives are over...I'm certified...and life is good! Got to play with the fishies in a little quarry in Haymarket, VA....now looking forward to playing with all the fishies in the world!

JaFord:
Woohooo!!!! Open Water dives are over...I'm certified...and life is good! Got to play with the fishies in a little quarry in Haymarket, VA....now looking forward to playing with all the fishies in the world!
:medal: Your license to learn or drown trying. Cool! :thumb:

JaFord:

Congratulations, be sure to dive often and try to work at least one skill refresher into every dive.

Pete

Congratulations jaford! Remember, ALWAYS BREATHE and ALWAYS SPEND! Both those pieces of advice will keep you diving for a long time.

wetrat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom