Newbie in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RossT

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am not even certified yet, but I will be by Dec 19th and I am really excited to start diving. I live in Houston, TX. I have always been interested in diving and have the time now to do it. I'm a 21 year old student at Rice University and am getting certified over christmas break. Glad to meet you all, this really looks like a great forum. Any advice on Texas diving or just general info a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross

Hey Ross, welcome to ScubaBoard, you might want to fill out your profile a little bit more it really helps others get to know you. You may want to check out the Texas Swamp Divers for some divers in your area, and I'm sure my buddy Sir Links Alot (Laurens) will be by to give you some more tips. :thumb:
David

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Welcome to the board. Houstonian here as well. Check out the flower gardens and rig dives. Cozumel is not far away and cheaper if you book a cruise going out of Galveston then flying. I just paid 360.00 for a four day trip to Cozumel on Carnival Jan.5th. Not much great diving in the area some fresh water holes to jump into such as Athens and Clear Springs. IMO Blue Lagoon really sucks big time. If you have any questions let me know. My dive buddy and I are always going on a trip. We are going to Thailand in April 2006 if interested???

SteveDiver:
Welcome to the board. Houstonian here as well. Check out the flower gardens and rig dives. Cozumel is not far away and cheaper if you book a cruise going out of Galveston then flying. I just paid 360.00 for a four day trip to Cozumel on Carnival Jan.5th. Not much great diving in the area some fresh water holes to jump into such as Athens and Clear Springs. IMO Blue Lagoon really sucks big time. If you have any questions let me know. My dive buddy and I are always going on a trip. We are going to Thailand in April 2006 if interested???

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the invite!! I'm definitly interested, but probably will be during school for me. Do you have the date already picked up ? I will check out the flower gardens and rig dives, they sound interesting. What kind of rigs are you diving near? I will definitely keep you in mind for any adventures I start planning! It is good to meet a fellow Houstonian. What part of town are you in? I'm in the West University area (near Rice University and the Med Center part of town).

Good to hear from you,
Ross

I posted on your gear thread already...

:zorros: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

DandyDon:
I posted on your gear thread already...

:zorros: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Hey Don -- Thank you!! I just replied to your post on my gear thread. I am perusing the forum, it is a lot bigger than I first thought!

Good stuff.

Thanks,
Ross

RossT:
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the invite!! I'm definitly interested, but probably will be during school for me. Do you have the date already picked up ? I will check out the flower gardens and rig dives, they sound interesting. What kind of rigs are you diving near? I will definitely keep you in mind for any adventures I start planning! It is good to meet a fellow Houstonian. What part of town are you in? I'm in the West University area (near Rice University and the Med Center part of town).

Good to hear from you,
Ross
Ross try this link for info on the rigs and flower gardens www.seasportstravel.com/FlowerGardens.htm . I really liked high island rig. I am going to Thialand April 12th-28th. Taking a cruise out of Galveston Jan.5-9 short trip spending one day in Cozumel to dive only cost 360.00 per person. I live in the Galleria area. The travel agent I use is www.friendlyplanet.com they have good rates. I purchased the Thialand trip with the Phuket add on. The travel company will take payments until your trip is paid in full. For two people going to Thialand including air from LA, rooms, tours it cost 2586.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom