First trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings:
I am a new Scubaboard member, taking a cruise to Cozumel Jan 21st we'll be in Cozumel. I can't afford the ship-planned scuba trip, have fewer than 6 dives, and want to go less than 32 feet deep, to take pictures. Can someone advise me which location to rent equipment and which beach to start at--reading on the internet, I surely want to stay away from locations with currents.
Thanks.
Robert

Welcome to the board!
Currents in Cozumel are your friend. Just go with the flow and the boat follows you. Chancanab Park is the only place that I know of on Cozumel that meets your no current and depth requirements. Good luck and have a large time.

Joe

People go to Cozumel for drift diving. The only 32 foot dives I remember are land based.

Hey Robert,

Welcome to the Scubaboard forums! Before I was certified, I did some drift snorkeling and free diving in Cozumel that was EXCELLENT!!! Then I did a discover scuba course from the shore at the El Presidente Hotel. (Not sure if that's still the name of it - this was several years ago). That was great too. If you are a little intimidated by deep and drift diving, that might be an option.

Also, in the Cozumel forum El Orans directed you to, you could probably find a dive buddy in Cozumel willing to take you on a mellow shore dive! You might have to buy them a Corona or two after the dive though!

Whatever you do, HAVE FUN!! And post pictures too, please!

John

There is a dock in front of Hotel Cozumel that has a dive shop called Dive Paradise, has an Apple Logo, Phone 872-1007, www.diveparadise.com info@diveparadise.com. they rent gear and tanks there and have a great shore ,walk in dive area....lots of wall features along the shore...avg is 12-18 ft, however you can venture out on the sand bottom and see several man made reef features, night dives are fun there also as the octopus come out......They also offer boat dives several times a day to different local sites, Palancar, LA Francesca, Gardens, Punta Sur, San Franisico..Wall dive.., Chan Kanaab, just to name a few...

Not too many quality shallow dive sites in Cozumel. Chacannab may not be open for diving. But the best of the shallow dives is Columbia Shallows. 30 ft max with lot of life & coral accessible by boat only. Probably won't be cheap but really is a top quality, easy dive. Contact some of the smaller ops in advance. You'd probably have to find a couple othetr divers to share the cost. But I'm sure the dive ops are very hungry for business.

Help yourself to our Cozumel forum, and - complete your Dive Info and Profile...

:biggrinba don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Welcome to the board Robert!!!!!! You are going to have a great time in Cozumel!

Since it is my home and what I do for a living is u/w photography I can tell you that the nature of Cozumel is currents - not necessarily ripping currents (okay sometimes), but the geological makeup of the island & our location are why we have currents - BUT that is also why we have some of the most colorful reefs & marine life in the world! The currents feed our reef system and allow it to flourish!

EVERY dive site (including Chankannab and all beach dives) CAN have currents. Now, some of our dives are known to almost always have currents, yet I have been on them with NO current. SO I guess what I am trying to tel you is, you never really know until you get underwater! I have been on dives with no current, or where the current has been strong, then suddenly stopped, visa versa, and even have been down & had the current change directions on me in the dive - that goes for beach dives as well as boat dives. SO what does a u/w photographer do? Be flexible! Adapt to the situation. You can still take pictures in current (now if it really strong, taking images can be extremely challenging if you are not used to it). And if it comes down to it, stop frustrating yourself by trying to take images in strong current, and enjoy the dive! Enjoy the way you can move through the water with no effort! Take the images in your mind and be thankful for the opportunity to be in such a glorious place!

Since you will not be taking the ship dive trip, and want to do a beach dive, you are going to need to check with a few dive operators that offer beach diving, and you are going to need to keep checking as your trip gets closer. Also check with them to see about going out on a boat dive to shallow reefs - you never know!!!

Here are some of the dive ops (you can find their e-mail on the web) that offer beach diving (in alphabetical order only)
Blue Angel @ Caribe Blue Hotel
Dive Paradise @ Hotel Cozumel
Dive with Martin @ the international pier
Roberta's Dive EcoCozumel/Scuba Shack in front of Casa del Mar

Also check with Chriti from Blue XTSea Diving - she is a wealth of information!!!! (She is on vacation this week, but will answer you when she gets back!)

Enjoy Cozumel (even if there are currents)l!!!!
Best Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom