Hello from the Wet Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

water werx

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found out about this site last Fall and finally got around to making my first post. Winter has arrived and the diving is great. No plankton bloom equals great vis. Hope to be able to learn lots and perhaps contribute a little as time goes on.

Welcome to the board WW. I hope you find some great buddies to dive around here with. We have a dive club down here in Seattle, we'd be more than happy to have a guest diver from the great white north sometime. I've been meaning to do some dives up in BC, I've only done Porteau Cove once.

I'm on Marathon, halfway down the Overseas Hiway of the Florida Keys with some other SB divers. I like to log on long enough to say "Hi There" to each new member at least.

Glad you'r here, too. :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Welcome to the Board. You right about the viz we are getting over a 100ft on the Island.

Cheers

Al

Welcome, you are right about the vis - except with the recent rain the surface is a little murky. On Monday at Whytecliff it was down to 10 feet for the first 30 feet - beyond that it was back up to about 40 feet or so but pretty dark.

I think I am going to have to go to the Island to dive later in the month.

Darnold9999:
Welcome, you are right about the vis - except with the recent rain the surface is a little murky. On Monday at Whytecliff it was down to 10 feet for the first 30 feet - beyond that it was back up to about 40 feet or so but pretty dark.

I think I am going to have to go to the Island to dive later in the month.
Thanks for thre reply to my initial post. I noticed from your profile that you have been diving in Costa Rica. I'm heading down there next Oct or Nov., dates not set yet, and was looking for any info on the best places to stay and dive. Should we head to the Pacific or Caribbean side? My wife only snorkels and likes fairly upscale resorts. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks M.R. (Water Werx)

Welcome from not too far down stream!! Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with while your learning your way around!

Kayla

We have been to Costa Rica twice and loved it both times. Both times rented a car and did B&B stops everywhere. The only resort type place we stayed was Ocotal Beach Resort on the Pacific side West of Liberia which was very nice, but not really our cup of tea. We prefer more interesting and off the beaten track a bit. Ocotal is very nice, the room we were in was more like a small house than a hotel room. The dining area for the hotel is built on a bluff overlooking the ocean, very romantic at night. They do dive charters and fishing charters the weather is almost universally hot and dry. You will find that it is pretty isolated however and at the edge of cattle country - hot, dry grasslands - probably the least scenic part of the country.

I am not sure I would go to Costa Rica to stay in a single resort. The attraction to me was the country itself. It has something like 8 climactic zones ranging from dry desert, temperate rainforest, tropical rainforest, cooler mountian regions - basically you can find everything you want but snow. Means the life is incredably varied.

Did not do much diving, one trip off Bat Island from the Ocotel resort which was very good - was in the middle of a ?school? of Manta's. The other trip was just off Manuel Antonio. A bit of a disaster and a very short dive. Had all the elements of a good dive, but I managed to get myself in trouble and had to cut the dive short and then couldn't dive again for a week or so.

Never have made it to the Caribbean side, got part way down the mountians and decided we didn't like what we were seeing so went back to the Pacific side. Subsequently have heard good things about some resorts down on the beach on that side of the country.

A great place for an adventure holiday. We have stayed on a coffee plantation, a birder's B&B, a tree house on the beach, a B&B with three Great Danes and an orchid garden, a small hotel with jungle theme murals on every wall and monkeys in the back yard. By and large we have found interesting places to stay and lots to see and do both times we were there. Would go back to the San Juan area, Arenal area, Nicoya Peninsula and Quepos. Would give a pass to Liberia and Punterenas.

Both trips diving was just something I squeezed in among a bunch of other things - so was not the focus of the trip. I don't recall any good snorkling anywhere we went. Nice beaches, but no snorkling. However was not looking, was more focused on other things.

Feel free to PM if you want more details

Back
Top Bottom