Get Certified, NAUI or PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VABeach

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jenny and I am addicted to beautiful blue water! I have done the SNUBA twice and Beginner SCUBA once. I am tired of being "teased" with the resort dives and am ready to take the big plunge. I have done some research, bought a book, and checked out a few local dive shops. What I can't decide on is whether to get NAUI or PADI certifeid. What is the difference?

I'm sure I will have so many more questions once I get started, I just need to know who to get started with.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Jenny

Welcome to Scuba Board! And Hello! :D

I got certified through PADI. I know NAUI goes more into depth with everything. There are more requirements. Im not saying this is bad. NAUIs Open Water is like PADIs Open Water plus sone more into PADIs advance. Its if youwant to get a whole lot at once (NAUI) or break it up a little (PADI). Thats personal preferance, I wouldn't recommend one over the other I think they are both very good organizations, worldly known and have been around for a long time.

Well I know I wasn't to specific but I hope this can help you.

VABeach:
Hi, I'm Jenny and I am addicted to beautiful blue water! I have done the SNUBA twice and Beginner SCUBA once. I am tired of being "teased" with the resort dives and am ready to take the big plunge. I have done some research, bought a book, and checked out a few local dive shops. What I can't decide on is whether to get NAUI or PADI certifeid. What is the difference?

I'm sure I will have so many more questions once I get started, I just need to know who to get started with.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Jenny

All else equal I prefer NAUI, but people here will probably tell you it's mostly about the instructor and I agree. I suggest you email each potential instructor to find out what the courses will cost with everything included, and to ask what they will teach, and then either base you decision on that or ask for more feedback here.

Good buoyancy control is important, but often neglected in open water class, so see if one of the instructors will emphasize that - or maybe you could request that s/he pays extra attention to it during class.

I got certified PADI because that's they program they used when I was in university, and my wife had to go with NAUI when she was taking marine biology. I was already certified when I got to sit in on a few of her classes, and there wasn't all that much novel content.

I ended up picking up a few books on dive medicine and drinking those in for a significantly stronger dose of theoretical content.

Thinking back on it, I'm glad I wore a 10mm wetsuit to pool training. The water wasn't cold enough to need it, but I had lots of chance to get used to how the bouyancy of a big fluffy wetsuit changes. Sure, they mention it in both the PADI and NAUI books, but its something you need to practice (says the book-learning guy).

edit: yay for snuba. i did that in hawaii as a kid, and i think that's what gave me the inspiration to go get certified.

Hello VABeach and welcome to ScubaBoard.

I do believe the instructor makes all of the difference, not the agency. How comfortable you are with your training plays a role in determining if you stay with SCUBA or abandon it soon after certification.

Here is a GREAT thread that explains what to ask/look for in an instructor:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124353

Good luck and have a great time.

I doubt that it matters much who you OW with - just do it and get started. Find a local shop that you seem to like and go for it...

:zorros: don

Welcome to the board. You have asked an open ended questioned that could end up in a feeding frenzy... You will receive more debate on this topic. I am PADI certified, but I'm not putting down NAUI at all. I agree with the above when they say it is going to be a personal preference. The most important part is getting certified with a good instructor and go diving.....

I'll make another vote for it all depends on the instructor. However, if it's the same instructor you like and they are certified to teach from multiple agencies, I would go NAUI.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy this space as much as I do! Lots to learn and lots to do. When I became certified (PADI), I felt I was missing something, so I kept going up until I was Rescue certified. I am not sure who you should use, but get the training YOU feel you need. I wanted to know as much as I could to feel safe, well educated and prepared for the big blue!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom