Newbie outsider with a strange story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmash

New
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I must say I feel like I just jumped into a tank of hungry sharks--well no, maybe more like one of those dreams where you go to school and realize you're naked.

Anyway, here I am a blind man in a world of two eyed people. This is my story.

I am writing a novel. In this novel, there is a certain area of the MS gulf coast that is of particular interest to me. Also I need to glean information about diving--where to start from, equipment to use, how not to get killed...

So, what I want to do mostly is lurk. I welcome anyone who wishes to chime in with advice, interesting stories, telling me to get lost, etc, etc.

The area of interest for me is Dog Key Pass. More specifically where Dog Key Island, aka Isle of Caprice used to be. If you're not sure what I'm talking about there is a great background article here http://lighthouse.passchristian.net/caprice.htm

I found this board by googling a wonderful thread about spear fishing carried on mostly by someone named FredT back in 2002 that really captured the spirit of what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I'll just be lurking in the background, but wanted to say hello and explain what that stranger standing against the wall with the blank look on his face was doing here.

mksmash

Interesting mission, indeed. I'm sure you'll find lots of atmosphere and/or information here among the forums.

Welcome!

Welcome to the board!

Well, now that your foot is in the door, you can't just leave it at that. Tell us about your writing experience. Have you other published novels? Do you already have a deal with a publisher? Are you really Steven King? eyebrow

BTW, the part about how not to get killed... stay out of the water, I guess. Actually, diving is a statistically safe endeavor, and we kind of enjoy talking about how you can get killed (therefore avoiding it).

The Fred T you mentioned used to make backplates (stainless steel plates that connect tank, buoyancy compensator and harness to diver). I own one myself, and they are excellent. He has stopped production due to a rather devastating hit he took from Katrina.

From a reading-diver's POV, the most important aspect in reading fiction with diving references is that the characters accurately represent the diving community's attitude. We're a mixed bunch for sure. But there is a certain common personality thread that connects us all, and if you can capture that in your writing, you done good. Shoot, I might even buy a copy when it hit's paperback (I'll warn you though, I'm big on dog-ears). :D

Again, welcome!

PaulChristenson:
It's Clive Cuttler!!!!
LOL! Did you do that on purpose? (It's Cussler, of course.)

Very good profile. Made me laugh. Thank you. Spy on whomever you would like here, just not me. :joke:

Welcome to the board :multi:

Wow! That's a new one. A blind writer writing about a world where the vis is everything. Most of spend a huge amout of time discussing vis. Why do we dive? To see what's down there, take pictures and show it to someone else. I would love to read your novel. Your perspective is most welcome. Maybe after the Scuba Board educates you, you'll return the favor.

Good luck, I'll buy a copy

Carl

cbrunberg:
Wow! That's a new one. A blind writer writing about a world where the vis is everything. Most of spend a huge amout of time discussing vis. Why do we dive? To see what's down there, take pictures and show it to someone else. I would love to read your novel. Your perspective is most welcome. Maybe after the Scuba Board educates you, you'll return the favor.

Good luck, I'll buy a copy

Carl

I think it was an analogy.

Oooops! Maybe I'm the blind guy!

Welcome anyway.

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom