Hi from Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amberjack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My certification card arrived in the mail this week, so I guess it's time to get started! My husband and I were just certified in Puerto Escondido, Mexico, last month and I'm already (like so many others here) completely addicted. I've been lurking here for a while before and after our trip and have already learned a lot - thanks to the hosts of this great forum and all you who share your knowledge! I already have a list of newbie questions of my own. Currently very far from the ocean in Toronto, Canada.

Well done on your new certification. Many people love to scuba from the get go!

I am sure other SB members may be as interested as I, to know how was the diving and the details of your dive instruction/operator in Puerto Escondido, especially as you were certified by NAUI, my old alma mater. My sister has told me P. Escondido is a very nice place.

Puerto was a great town, I loved it - very laid-back, lots of backpackers, quite inexpensive. Surfing is a big tourist draw, which contributes to this atmosphere. I've done quite a bit of traveling in Mexico, and I think it's been my favourite destination so far. The dive shop was Puerto Dive Centre (http://www.scuba-diving-mexico.com/) and our instructor was a truly terrific guy named Jeff. Can't say enough about him - he made my husband, who was a tad nervous, feel totally at ease. He’s also a great underwater photographer and took some wonderful shots which he’ll burn to a CD for you (for a small fee, of course!). But I don't know how long he'll be working there.

I obviously don't have much of a basis for comparison for the diving. Having done lots of snorkeling and one 'Welcome to Diving' experience in the Caribbean, I can say that it's obviously very different on the Pacific. There were two different spots they took us (I did eight dives while there). One, called Punta Colorada, had beautiful formations and lots of big schools – I picked my user name because of a wonderful, big school of jacks that circled us on my first dive as a certified diver – totally thrilling for a newbie like me. We also saw some great stuff from the boat, like a school of flying mantas (had never seen anything like that before!) And of course, there’s tons of sea turtles.

All and all, I would absolutely recommend a trip to Puerto.

Dude, Zicatela at Puerto is a sick, sick barreling wave ... the destoyer of boards. They don't call it the Mexican pipeline for nothing :wink:

Thank's for posting the dive info. I'll consider dragging along some dive gear on my next trip to the Oaxaca area.

Welcome to SB.

There's great summer diving there, but you'll need thicker suits..

:cowboy: don

welcome to the board.. ill be passing through your area next friday..

hopefully this snow lets up..

good luck with your diving!

Congtrats. Welcome to the board. Ihope you get in a few local dives in this summer.

Yep, I'm planning to do some local diving come spring. I guess the first priority will be to learn how to dive in a dry suit!

Back
Top Bottom