Returning Poster...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodiBB

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone!

I was posting on these boards last summer when I was going through my OW classes. I was having problems with the mask removal skill, but I accomplished it and am now certified! Since then, I fell off the Earth/boards as real life set in and I haven't gone diving since.

Fortunately, I was asked by my instructor to provide ASL interpreting for an OW SCUBA class, which is giving me the chance to get back into the pool, revisit my skills and get free boat dives in the process!!! It's the best of all worlds as I'm getting my refresher course and logged dives at the same time!!

So now that I'm back in the water, I thought I'd return to the boards to keep up with the diving world....Glad to be back!!!!

Thanks Snowbear...but I didn't tell you the best part! I'm also getting (as part of my compensation) my AOW certification through the company as well!!!! :D

Now THAT's a sweet deal!!!

Welcome back!

Joe

No...it's just part of the compensation agreement. My OW instructor and I will be making arrangements for the AOW certification process...I can't interpret for that until I'm certified myself...this way it isn't a conflict of interest for me. Since I'm already OW certified, the instructor doesn't have to worry about me and can focus on the student(s)...

Glad to see you with us again...

Its much easier to talk with ASL under water then to use PADI's hand signs. The problem is that your DM or instructor has no clue what you are saying so for the HEARING instructor you need to use "his" language.............however once your diving with a dive buddy who is ASL fluent there is no language barrier.

Happy Diving

Brad...good point...however, my instructor does know some sign language, so we talk UW all the time! That's how the whole interpreter thing evolved to start with! :D But the Deaf candidate picked up on the PADI signs quickly, which makes sense since his brain works that way to begin with.

Actually ASL is not international, unlike the PADI signs, so if I was going to communicate with a Deaf German diver, our signs would not make sense to one another, with the exception of the PADI signs. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom