New To The Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanw

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first post to Scubaboard and I would just like to introduce myself. I live in Cape Town on the southern tip of Africa. I have been diving, together with my wife, for 22 years now. Most of our dives have been in and around Cape Town, where the temperatures varey between 9 and 18 degrees C. We however manage to get a warm water trip in once a year, mainly South East Asia. Last year we did quite an interesting trip to Sangalaki. The infrastructure was "interesting", but the diving, particularly the dozens of Mantas, more than made up for the short-comings.
After an early retirement, I joined the staff of the local aquarium. Plenty of diving to be had, but, as with most jobs, there are down sides as well. I left after 2 years, but still dive with them once or twice a week. Mainly to do shark feeds ( 5 large Ragged Tooth sharks or Sand Tigers).
I have been a frustrated u/w photographer for 15 years. Been through 4 Nikonos V's, and just recently gone digital. Flooded my Olympus 5060 at Sangalaki, and just replaced it with an c8080. We will see how long that lasts.
I look forward to my stay here on the board.

Thanks Teknitox.
Although our coastline is thick with Great Whites, I have never come across one. They are regularly sighted by the beach Shark Spotters who then sound the sirens for the surfers and swimmers. They have taken a swimmer and a few surfers over the past 2 or 3 years. They also have taken a few spear fishermen. But, to date, they have not attacked a scuba diver. This fact helps keep me diving.

I have done a cage dive where we saw 3 really large beasts up close and personal. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life.
Alan

Very glad to have you with us...

:cowboy: don

large-smiley-012.gif

smiley-linie-010.gif

:wavey: Welcome to the
logo.gif
!

Alan I can't imagine seeing a great white come at you with mouth open, even if you were in a cage, and actually calling it fun. I'm sure my internal organs would react.........if you get my "drift".

Happy Diving and welcome

Back
Top Bottom