Wetsuit wisdom wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkBW

New
Reaction score
Greetings all -
Anyone willing to recommend a wetsuit choice for this recently PADI certified, one - two times a year, mostly Caribbean waters, diver?
Full suit? Shorty? Longsleeve shorty? 3mil? 2 mil? 3/2 mil? 2/1 mil? Back zip? Front zip?
Manufacturer?
Any wisdom / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Mark

Hi Mark,

I would recommend a full wetsuit 3mm back zip. As far as mfg, there are many to suit your budget.

MarkBW:
Greetings all -
Anyone willing to recommend a wetsuit choice for this recently PADI certified, one - two times a year, mostly Caribbean waters, diver?
Full suit? Shorty? Longsleeve shorty? 3mil? 2 mil? 3/2 mil? 2/1 mil? Back zip? Front zip?
Manufacturer?
Any wisdom / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Mark

Depending n when and where in the Caribbean you will be diving you might also consider a neoprene 1 mm dive skin with a 2 mm short in case you need it.

The dive skin will protect you from abrasions while the 2 mm shorty can be added to add core body warmth if necessary.
I think the Bare neoprene 1 mm dive skins go for a list price of about $110. I have not priced a 2mm shorty recently so I can't comment on that item.

I am from New England and I would be roasting in my custom 3 mm jump suit in the Caribbean in the summer time.

I recommend either a full 3mm or a full 3/2. I don't see much difference in warmth between the two, and the lower buoyancy of the 3/2 (which has 2mm on arms and legs, 3mm on the torso) makes for less lead and easier buoyancy control.

I also recommend getting a beanie or hood. Lots of heat is lost via the head, and even just a beanie that covers the top of the head will help a lot with keeping warm.

Mark - it's really hard to make a judgement without more information. Everyone feels the cold differently. And make no mistake, even Caribbean waters will make you cold. If you are someone who doesn't generally feel the cold, and you have an average build, a 3mm fullsuit will probably be adequate. But if you are thin, feel the cold or expect to do a lot of diving over a short period, you may need more. Bear in mind, it's much easier to deal with being a little warm than enjoy a dive during which you feel constantly cold. Nothing spoils the diving experience quicker. You might consider a 3mm - and take a hooded vest along too - it can make a huge difference. Many people also keep a thin hood in their divebag too. If you do find yourself being cooled down, a hood really helps.

Hope that adds to the information that you can use to make a decision. For what it's worth - I'm skinny and I dive with a 5mm fullsuit in waters up to 80F. Better warm than cold.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Mike is correct: "It's hard to say." But Ron's approach has a lot of merit. Most of the year, I'll dive the Carib in a 1 mil long with knee pads! If you get chilled, add a 2 or 3 mil shorty over it and/or a beanie to slow the rapid loss of heat out of your head. I don't like the way a hood feels around my neck, and the beanie does the important part. 1 mils and Skins are usually front zip, while 2 mils and up are generally back zip - and you want the zippers of the 2 suit approach to be on opposite sides.

I dive a little more often so I have a couple of more selections in Skins & suits, but that'll get you. You just might go the 3 mil long rather than short in case you want to go to cooler water dives, too. Beyond that, a 7 mile is the next jump for me.

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-010.gif

The only place I use a shortie is in the pool. Go full and you'll never regret it.

Try the new Pinnacle Aquatics Seal 3mm Merino wool lined suit. Kevlar knee pads, back zip, Roll neck seal, 10mm spine pad. Great for Caribbean repetitive diving! You will be glad you trusted! From consumers; once they dive the Pinnacle Merino lined suits they will never go back to their previous suits.

PS also a 30 day manufacturers money back guarantee!

www.pinnacleaquatics.com

Chad B

LGF:
Hi Mark,

I would recommend a full wetsuit 3mm back zip. As far as mfg, there are many to suit your budget.

Thanks LGF! I appreciate the input.
Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom