Newbie Got Grouper ?'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Alright, I shoot grouper around Tampa bay, FL and have been hunting for more than 25 years. So here's the question, to regular grouper divers: line hunt or freeshaft, which do you prefer and why?(first time poster by the way)

Secondly, does anyone know of a freediving wetsuit with a slick surface for less drag? Thanx for your thoughts!

Welcome Noi. Check out the underwater hunting forum. You'll probably have better luck getting your question answered.

Glad you've joined us!

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-019.gif

Thanx yall, nice to meet you and now I'm off to try the huntin' forum!

don't know much about spearfishing, but the insta-dry from henderson is as slick as your gonna get. There may be others

Noi:
First, for any grouper hunters out there, line or free-shaft.. which do you prefer and why? Secondly, does anyone know of a freediving wetsuit with a slick surface for less drag? Thanx for your thoughts!

Man, this discussion on Spearboard gets as heated as the DIR/non DIR discussions here on Scubaboard. I've done both but only free diving. I can't use scuba in Belize. I like the free shaft because for my set up at least, it's way more accurate (like shooting a 22 rifle vs a pellet gun) but I do have to be really picky with my shots. For this reason I use it only in water less than 20 feet because if I don't stone the fish, I can still chase him down and not lose shaft or fish. But for deeper water shots (40+ feet) I like the line shaft because at that depth, I can't do much chasing and I don't want to waste a fish....or shaft. I can also take blue water shots, although not likely at a grouper.:D
I'm not sure if "slick" is more "quick" in the water. Remember the hull modification they made on the Aussie America's Cup boat a few years back? It was rough like a shark skin and faster.

Back
Top Bottom