Puttin the toe in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harold3

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been looking up dive information for the last couple of weeks now, I've finally decided to go ahead and get Dive certified at the Aquatic center here in Ocala, Fl. (an SSI shop).

I've been and around water for most of my life, either swiming, snorkeling or boating as well as having a rather unusual hobby of underwater robotics. (I've just finished my first truly functional ROV recently, everything before were testbeds and toys). I've got a whole list of things I'd like to do when it comes to underwater activities including making another ROV that can go down 300m, building an ambient wet sub.

SCUBA cert is right now my next logical step in my plan. Not only so I can do some more test with my ROV a bit more hands on, but because it will get me more hands on experience for my future projects.

I found this board because I'm doing my research to see what's involved as well as to get a good idea as to how much and what basic equipment I will end up needing.

Great board by the way, I ended up reading up on the Pony Tank debate earlier and it was... interesting.

OMG, SSI will kill you, ROVs will kill you, SCUBA will kill you...no wait I get confused when I read too much here.

Welcome to the board, like anything in life there is some really good stuff here if you can overlook the grab-assin'

I want to see more about the ROV personally, that sounds very cool.

Well, then more about the ROV :)

The rov "BugEye" is a ~2liter displacement "Camera w/ thrusters" that should (if I got my math right) be able to go down to about ~90m before the camera portal fails. (about a third of what I want to build my next one's specs too). It has two small bouyancy cans that are controled by a BS/2 based custom board housed in the electronics can w/ the camera assembly and two custom machined light cans w/ super bright LEDs. Thrusters are run by two reversable DC motors connected to gear boxes controlled by the control board. allowing me to run any prop in any direction off just two motors. The depth/preasure gauge is an SPD100 encased in an oil compensated bladder, it will register preasure up to 100 atmospheres so it's rated well beyond the designed depth of the rov.

Surface control is done through a midbox that attaches to my laptop (to seperate the connection so if anything happens the midbox blows a fuse and my laptop isn't fried) from which I can use a game joystick (a logitech attack) to control almost everything. main Trigger = record cam input on/off, slider = solenoid valve control or BC cans. (I can either add preasurized air from a c02 cylinder or open the valve to let water in and escape) various "option" buttons control the speed of the motors and direction of the shaft. (transmission control).

The software talks to the BS/2 board and the board talks to each individual component and vice versa.

Power is 24vdc supplied from surface control.

thanks for the welcome.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-019.gif

Welcome harold3. Underwater robotics. Very interesting ... and some very unique engineering challanges, I'm sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom